Forum home Commuter cycling forum The workshop

schoolboy error - wrong size inner tube

PBoPBo Posts: 2,493
edited April 2009 in The workshop
foolishly didn't realise i have different size tyres on my gryphon. :oops: 25c rear 28c front. so after a visit from the fairy who dare not say her name, i now have a 18-25c inner tube in a 28c tyre.

i hate changing tubes - :( what are the issues with wrong size inner tubes? can i get away with it?

cheers all

PBo

Posts

  • downfaderdownfader Posts: 3,686
    You prolly could get away with it, I wouldnt worry too much as theres not much in it. Now if you'd have bought a kiddies innertube then I'd understand. :wink::)
  • croggycroggy Posts: 116
    PBo wrote:
    foolishly didn't realise i have different size tyres on my gryphon. :oops: 25c rear 28c front. so after a visit from the fairy who dare not say her name, i now have a 18-25c inner tube in a 28c tyre.

    i hate changing tubes - :( what are the issues with wrong size inner tubes? can i get away with it?

    cheers all

    PBo

    It depends how much pressure you inflate to.A 25c tube in a 28c tyre will be stretched to it's limit.I did the same thing as a temporary measure,the tube exploded at 80psi.
  • whyamiherewhyamihere Posts: 7,510
    It's 3mm...

    I used to run cheap inner tubes supposed to go up to 2.1" in my 2.5" downhill mountain bike without a problem.
  • downfaderdownfader Posts: 3,686
    croggy wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    foolishly didn't realise i have different size tyres on my gryphon. :oops: 25c rear 28c front. so after a visit from the fairy who dare not say her name, i now have a 18-25c inner tube in a 28c tyre.

    i hate changing tubes - :( what are the issues with wrong size inner tubes? can i get away with it?

    cheers all

    PBo

    It depends how much pressure you inflate to.A 25c tube in a 28c tyre will be stretched to it's limit.I did the same thing as a temporary measure,the tube exploded at 80psi.

    Sure that wasn't a pinch flat? I've put the '28s in a 35 tyre with no problem. Have one in now actually. :)
  • PBoPBo Posts: 2,493
    Thanks all -

    I'll probably go with it until next p******e.

    I run it 5-10 psi lower than recommended due to (I think) shocking state of roads here in Sheffield - and that's compared to being a London commuter for 11 years!. :shock: I always end up riding primary, because the roads seems to be totally rutted on the secondary line!

    PBo
  • croggycroggy Posts: 116
    downfader wrote:
    croggy wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    foolishly didn't realise i have different size tyres on my gryphon. :oops: 25c rear 28c front. so after a visit from the fairy who dare not say her name, i now have a 18-25c inner tube in a 28c tyre.

    i hate changing tubes - :( what are the issues with wrong size inner tubes? can i get away with it?

    cheers all

    PBo

    It depends how much pressure you inflate to.A 25c tube in a 28c tyre will be stretched to it's limit.I did the same thing as a temporary measure,the tube exploded at 80psi.

    Sure that wasn't a pinch flat? I've put the '28s in a 35 tyre with no problem. Have one in now actually. :)

    Not a pinch flat.I was inflating the tyre when it happened.Might have been a dodgy tube.
  • downfaderdownfader Posts: 3,686
    croggy wrote:
    downfader wrote:
    croggy wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    foolishly didn't realise i have different size tyres on my gryphon. :oops: 25c rear 28c front. so after a visit from the fairy who dare not say her name, i now have a 18-25c inner tube in a 28c tyre.

    i hate changing tubes - :( what are the issues with wrong size inner tubes? can i get away with it?

    cheers all

    PBo

    It depends how much pressure you inflate to.A 25c tube in a 28c tyre will be stretched to it's limit.I did the same thing as a temporary measure,the tube exploded at 80psi.

    Sure that wasn't a pinch flat? I've put the '28s in a 35 tyre with no problem. Have one in now actually. :)

    Not a pinch flat.I was inflating the tyre when it happened.Might have been a dodgy tube.

    Yeah could well have been, some of the cheapy tesco ones seem a little weak around the valve join. :)
    I run it 5-10 psi lower than recommended due to (I think) shocking state of roads here in Sheffield - and that's compared to being a London commuter for 11 years!. I always end up riding primary, because the roads seems to be totally rutted on the secondary line!

    PBo

    On my old race lites they were a max of about 120psi, but I always felt I got the best performance at 100psi. Slightly more cushioned feel. On my crosstowns that I'm using now I have it 5 under the recommended 85psi max.

    Southampton's roads are just the same. No point maxing a tyre/tube out on the best of roads imo, but when the roads are falling to bits.. :lol:
Sign In or Register to comment.