First 25 mile TT

Harry B
Harry B Posts: 1,239
edited April 2009 in Amateur race
In a couple of weeks. I've never done a TT before so it should be quite interesting. I'm not sure about pacing myself. A friend reckons I should be capable of doing it in around 1.15 but I'm not so sure. What sort of pace should I start out at? Would 20mph be a bit high (assuming no head/tail wind)?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You can't judge it off speed whatsoever due to the number of variables such as prevailing winds, gradient etc.

A heart rate monitor is a good gauge, power is even better in my opinion.

If not you should go off 'rate of percieved exhertion'.

For a 25 you should be looking at 80-85% max HR but again this is different for everyone and HR creeps up over time after starting low.

My best suggestion is to ride for 25 miles before the event as fast as you can to get a feel for it. Preferably on the same course.
  • Harry B
    so keep the HR in around zone 4 on the Garmin?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes, but remember not to start too hard though (obviously you will be quite a bit below zone 4 at the start, work up to it steadily over a few minutes).
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Yes, but remember not to start too hard though (obviously you will be quite a bit below zone 4 at the start, work up to it steadily over a few minutes).

+1

Take it easy to start with, and build up over the first mile of so. Also when you come off the turn, don't hammer it. If you get a build up of lactate, the you will have to slow down, and it will give you a slower time.

I go by HR, but not around 80-85%, I am normally 90+% and even over 100% near the end :shock: , when I really push it (just shows you the 220-age is cr@p).

You will probably get the pacing all wrong on the first one, but once you have done a few you will get a handle on it no doubt.
  • Harry B
    It's this Sunday. The weather forcast is looking good. Sadly due to the crap weather I didn't get out on the road bike at the weekend but did a few muddy miles of the MTB instead. I'll do a few miles on my commute between now and the weekend and then probably rest on Saturday. Then it's up early on Sunday for breakfast (something I never usually have) and off to the TT. :D
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    I think all of the above is good advice. I am a roadie and have raced on the road for 5 seasons, TT'ing is a different bag altogether from a RR.

I got an interest in TT's from the end of season hill climbs and i would say my biggest learning is that even a 7 minute hill climb to some degree requires pacing. Over the last year I have started to have a go at the longer TT's and pacing for 10's and 25's is still a bit of an issue for me.

I hit the start line with the best will in the world of riding into it but seem to get over excited (especially in an 'Open') and worry that I am not going hard enough. I reckon i have done about 7 or 8 10's now and think I am just about starting to avoiid hammering it from the gun.

I've only done one 25 (second race of this season) and again felt I could have paced it better.

So the moral here is do as I say, not as i do and try and concentrate on not going eyeballs out from the off. I am sure i'll crack this nut soon and start to get some faster times.
  • Harry B
    celbianchi wrote:
    I think all of the above is good advice. I am a roadie and have raced on the road for 5 seasons, TT'ing is a different bag altogether from a RR.

I got an interest in TT's from the end of season hill climbs and i would say my biggest learning is that even a 7 minute hill climb to some degree requires pacing. Over the last year I have started to have a go at the longer TT's and pacing for 10's and 25's is still a bit of an issue for me.

I hit the start line with the best will in the world of riding into it but seem to get over excited (especially in an 'Open') and worry that I am not going hard enough. I reckon i have done about 7 or 8 10's now and think I am just about starting to avoiid hammering it from the gun.

I've only done one 25 (second race of this season) and again felt I could have paced it better.

So the moral here is do as I say, not as i do and try and concentrate on not going eyeballs out from the off. I am sure i'll crack this nut soon and start to get some faster times.

Seems good advice! I'm hoping to start RRing next year. I think in some ways it should be easier racing against others rather than the clock but we'll see
  • celbianchi
    Harry B wrote:
    celbianchi wrote:

Seems good advice! I'm hoping to start RRing next year. I think in some ways it should be easier racing against others rather than the clock but we'll see

hmm, a different challenge altogether. In a TT, you yourself solely dictate the level of pain and suffering. In a RR often others will be making you hurt when you might not, ideally want to.

good luck with the test at the weekend.
  • celbianchi wrote:
    I got an interest in TT's from the end of season hill climbs and i would say my biggest learning is that even a 7 minute hill climb to some degree requires pacing.
    Even events as short as a 2km individual pursuit on a track (2.5 to 3-min typical for riders in those categories) require careful pacing to ride them in the shortest time possible.
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi wrote:
    I got an interest in TT's from the end of season hill climbs and i would say my biggest learning is that even a 7 minute hill climb to some degree requires pacing.
    Even events as short as a 2km individual pursuit on a track (2.5 to 3-min typical for riders in those categories) require careful pacing to ride them in the shortest time possible.

Alex - have you any tips on how to overcome "first mile excitement". I reckon I have a short 22, maybe a long 21 for a 10 in me if I can master the pacing.
    Although an experienced roadie, I have done a handful of 10's.

My plan this year in the midweek club 10's I do is to really experiment and write off a couple of them as learning, I know conditions on the night will vary the results, hopefully my TSB on training peaks will give me an idea of comparible freshness.

I still worry when I try and ride into a TT, that I am going too slow and hear the voice saying "Go Harder, Go Harder"