Carbon soles or buckle closure?

yoadius
yoadius Posts: 541
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to buy some new shoes, have a budget of around £40-50, and will mostly be used for track riding.

I already have some shimano mountain bike shoes and know that they fit really well so have been looking at the shimano road line.

I am faced with 2 shoes around the same price. The only differences are:

-One has a buckle type strap, and nylon soles.

-The other has just velcro straps but carbon soles.

Which would be of greater benefit, I'm swaying towards the carbon soles as I've never had an issue with the velcro straps on my other shoes.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tartanyak</i>

Dude, did you trace that, from a distance off a diagram drawn by a blind man using his feet from the description given to him by someone that could only use English quotes from the movie of \'Grease\'?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Comments

• Ruari
    Ruari Posts: 217
    I'd say either would suffice, it's really down to personal preferance.
    If you're happy with velcro closure straps, go with the carbon soles.
    If you prefer buckle type, go with them, as there is probably very little noticable rigidity between the carbon and nylon soles (Shimano shoes are really good quality)

Hope that's helped a bit, not very definite!
    FCN 1
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I agree yoadius, go with carbon soles, stiffer and lighter soles will give more performance benefits than a different closure system.

Buckle closures only really mean you can adjust the shoe easliy on the go; on the track you have plenty of down time to re-adjust shoes etc.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    DaSy wrote:
    I agree yoadius, go with carbon soles, stiffer and lighter soles will give more performance benefits than a different closure system.

Buckle closures only really mean you can adjust the shoe easliy on the go; on the track you have plenty of down time to re-adjust shoes etc.

Carbon soles. You will only adjust the straps either before or after the ride. Someone I know at the velodrome wears lycra overshoes to stop herself fiddling constantly with her shoes.
    M.Rushton
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Carbon soles, buckles will only add extra weight
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Both my pairs of road shoes have velcro straps and I haven't had any problems so I'd go for those.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The metal pins used to work out on my Sidi ratchet shoes - so for simplicity - go with velcro straps.