Some newbie questions - lower back problems

SpinningJenny
SpinningJenny Posts: 889
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Hi there - I've just registered after being a bit of a lurker for a while!

Here's the thing - I've registered to take part in the Capital to Coast 60 mile bike ride at the end of June (the week after the London to Brighton). It's a quieter ride, so should be less hectic!

Anyway, my training has been going well - I've been training on the static bikes in the gym (and if i can cope with their rock-hard saddles, that aspect should be no problem!) and also my trusty Trek hybrid.

I've had an ongoing back problem for a few years and am seeing an osteo, sports massage therapist and so on to keep things going (a history of a slipped disc, a wonky pelvis and a less than straight spine!).

I am now toying with getting a road bike, but am a bit worried about the difference in seating position, given my less than perfect back. My current bike has me in more of an upright position than a road bike would result in. Does anyone have any comments on that, or advice?

FYI - I'm of the female persuasion, 5'3" on a good day, so if anyone has any recommendations for actual bikes, that would be helpful too. I'm happy to spend up to £1500 or thereabouts - I am currently coveting the Trek 1.9 Compact 2009 and nearly got run over this morning ogling a guy on one in the London Bridge area - it was the bike I was drooling over, not him! :wink:

Thanks all...
Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08

Comments

• Hi
    ive also had back problems. Mine is much much better since ive been riding a road bike.ive been riding for bout 8 months and ive had little or no back pain in that time at all.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
  • Now that's interesting... are you a stand up in the pedals or a sit downer?

• both really but mainly sit down.My back is maybe ever so slightly stiff after i get off the bike bit nothing serious
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES; NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    edited April 2009
    It's possible to set up a road bike to replicate the position you have on your other bike - that's if that is a good position for you. You can buy an uncut fork if you need extra steerer height than the ones that are pre-cut will give you. I'd suggest you get a proper cycle fitting. If you live in the South , or even if not, it is worth a trip to Cycle Fit in London. I don't live anywhere near there, but still went down on the train for the day to get my knee problems sorted out. If you have specific back/pelvis issues they will sort you out. You might need a cleat height adapter on one side, to make both legs effectively the same length, or specific shoe insoles. If the pelvis is twisted or dropped to one side you may need the saddle off-centred, or may need one crank longer than the other... there are many options that could help, but you need to get a proper fitting. I really can't recommend a proper bike fitting service enough. You'll be measured and flexibility tested in certain key ares. You sit on a stationary jig bike, in your usual riding position and pedal (it took about an hour of proper pedalling, so do wear cycling kit as you will sweat) and you'll be videoed for analysis. You'll then be able to see the changes to your position, comfort and even power output (if it's been effected by discomfort or poor position) as they gradually tweak your position until it is right for you. I can recommend Cycle Fit - they are very thorough.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I ve had loads of back problems over the years - in fact I have a twinge as we speak !

firstly I would get some sort of bike fitting done - these cost between £30 & £100 - but in view of your back problems i would say this is essential.

In my experience an upright position isn't neccesarily better for your back than on the drops - if fact one physio gave me some 'gapping' excercises to space out my lower back joints - she actually advised that bending over drops would be a preferable position.

Stretching excercises really help - I go to a pilates class - sometimes im the only bloke there - but bending and stopping your back & hamstrings getting stiff really helps.

I also at times wear a neoprene back support - I think the benefit this gives is keeping my lower back warm, rather than much support - but they are only £10 from Argos.

I have also had steriod injections in my facet joints - these really help - especially when the inflamation just won't go down - with Ice & ibuprofen

I ride a semi compact & a traditional road bike - I ve got them set up so the reach is similar - so long as the bike fits , I don't really think its an issue - both are Alu and give the supposed harsh ride - again don't really think this has much bearing on my back issues. there are also various gizm's you can get like adjustable stems , or forward sloping seat posts - might be an idea to keep some of cash back for this and a bike fitting session.

Hope this helps.,
  • Wow! Thanks all - and gosh, it must be lunchtime - everyone's on the interweb!

I do agree that I'm looking at having a bike fitting. Given that I've spent a not inconsiderable amount of money on getting my creaky body into the shape it's in now, it would be stupid to stuff it up by trying to skimp on getting the right fit. I also see what you're saying kingrollo about getting my back and hams to stretch out more - I do a lot of gym (weights) work anyhoo, so it makes sense to be as flexible as possible - I don't really want to be a cripple after spending a few hours in the saddle.

Blonde - what a great endorsement for CycleFit! And thanks for the pointer - I'll definitely take a look, since I am in the south it will certainly be easier for me to get there than for you. Like I said, I don't mind spending the money.

marc - glad you only have a bit of stiffness. I was about ready to throw things last week, after a bit of a flare-up! All good now though and a session with the osteo tonight (who's into triathlons, so knows the score)!

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Lower back pain is typically the consequence of weak 'core' muscles - the big cycling power muscles, the glutes, hamstrings and quads are all anchored to your pelvis - cycling develops the strength in these muscles, but if the core isn't strong or flexible enough, then you will suffer. Likewise, cycling can cause you muscles to loose elasticity and reduce flexibility - so you need to work to counteract this. As well as the exercise, your bike fit and position is just as critical so for a beginner a second opinion can be vital to prevent injury and to optimise biomechanical efficiency.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks Monty. My core is strong, so I know it's not that - it was even before I got the fitness bug and I train with a guy who works very hard to make sure i get all over strength training. But it does make sense, what you say about how cycling can affect elasticity and flexibility. I'm giong to make sure I work on these off the bike, so I don't get caught out too much.

Thanks!

• ohlala!
    ohlala! Posts: 121
    I used to have back pain about 4 months ago, it's gone now. Basically your back pain could be caused by either improper positioning on the bike, or your general body posture while you're doing your daily activities i.e slouching, not properly lifting heavy items, sleep with a pillow that's not the right height, wearing thin clothing in windy and cold condition which can also lead to arthritis if it is persistent.

Basically I got rid of mine by first strengthen my lower back muscle through exercise such as dead lifts, bridges, superman, etc. Then correct my posture during daily activities and stretch every morning. Hopefully this helps. I know back pain is a nightmare. One more thing, be patient - it doesn't correct itself in 1 day.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    You definietly need to get properly fitted. I was in exactly your situation with back problems, but desperately wanted a road bike.

I got fitted at Bikepark about 10 years ago, and after finding out that I have a long torso, and comparatively short legs, they sorted me out and although I still have occassional twinges in my back, a road bike has definitely not added to my problem.
  • azbars
    azbars Posts: 1
    Hi Jenny,

There is no better solution for lower back problem than exercises.
    Strong spinal column muscles is the best support for your back .
    Try to find the Spine Exerciser and make your core stronger.
    Something like shown in this article:
    http://www.girlracer.co.uk/lifestyle/21 ... chine.html

Regards
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    Just another vote for getting a decent fitting, I used to get off my old Specialized in a fair bit of discomfort, then went and had a decent fitting at a local shop (before parting with a stack of money on a new bike) Backache can still come and catch me unawares from time to time but never really as a result of riding. And when I compare the position of the new bike with the old one, the difference is substantial - though I used to think the old one "fitted".

Have fun on the ride with, hopefully, your shiny new bike.
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • The Jack
    The Jack Posts: 52
    Be sure to really try out the bike you are thinking of buying. To find one with the proper geometry for you might take some time, but is definitely worth the effort.
    "Wo ist mein Fahrrad?"

-Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk waking up from a coma after a crashing with his bicycle-
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Roberts, in Croydon, have made something of a speciality of building bespoke bikes for smaller women (and for people with specific physio complaints):

http://www.robertscycles.com/about_roberts.html

I have a bespoke Roberts road bike and can vouch for their superb quality.
  • Thank you all...

Well, the good news is that I tried out the 'road bike position' on the gym bike yesterday and it felt good. No back pulls or twinges in that low position, which I was worried about. So, this basic issue seemingly dealt with, I can progress to the fun bit - searching out my bike and getting it fitted properly!

Thanks for the link, balthazar, that looks really interesting. Croydon isn't so far away from where I live, either, so it looks like a great option!