Will this encourage more female cyclists?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    It's "encouraging" me.......sorry (very un-PC) ;-)
  • Anonymous
    :D I bet it is. Filthy boy.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Can't imagine Mrs JW would want to be seen in any of that gear - she likes to look like a cyclist
  • gtvlusso
    In reality - womens cycling kit is a nightmare to get hold of unless it is in pink. I would hope that they maintain a practical and stylish collection for da laydees that actually works in all conditions (though it will probably only be summer wear!).

My wife was saying only the other day that womens sports kit is either full on and hardcore sports kit or pink and useless - a nice bit of middle ground may encourage some more high end manufacturers to expand their ranges and drop the pink......

Ultimately, I am a bloke, so, I know nothing! But I have read a few things on here that are worrying regarding the access that ladies have to comfortable, stylish and practical clothing for cycling around in.

My wife has resorted on occasion to raiding my closet for sports stuff....(except my bra's are the wrong cup size for her.....:-))...
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Not really - only available in Oxford street, and pretty darn expensive!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited April 2009
    Am I going to raise the point that none of them are wearing helemts....

Honestly I think this cheapens the whole idea of taking female cyclists seriously.

This clothing range is nothing but an attempt to exploit a positive rising trend (cycling) in an attempt to make profit. If Topshop took the rising trend in cycling seriously and responsibly they would have launched a serious sport range of clothing for women.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • SpaceBadger
    SpaceBadger Posts: 113
    Honestly I think this cheapens the whole idea of taking female cyclists seriously.

+1

I find it quite patronising, but the sad fact is that there will be girls who find looking 'good' more important than wearing practical biking clothing. That said, I'm all for more non-pink options....
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • beegee
    beegee Posts: 160
    Not being a woman, which is no one's fault, not even the Romans, I should not comment. But that's never stopped me before. I could believe that there might be a gap in the market, an opportunity, for female cycle specific clothes, that aren't full-on sports stuff. Even with my sporadic commute of 35 miles I feel a bit of a fraud for wearing lycra because I'm no Lance Armstrong and baggy shorts work okay. So yes, good luck to them, although I think they're being rather optimstic to say "Whether it be a short commute or tour across foreign lands . . .".
  • sarajoy
    Thing is, it'd be one thing if they were selling clothes - but it appears to be rubbish little accessories like saddle bags, trouser clips, caps, peaked headbands, etc.
  • gtvlusso
    If fashion makes people/gals get on bikes and out of cars, then I am all for it - some, if not most girls and not gonna want to chamois creme and lycra up to cycle to work or pop into town - they probably won't want to buy a Cervelo race bike, just something cheap to mooch about on - cruiser or whatever. Laydees want to look lovely, and I, for one, am happy to let them! If the clothes are fashionable, and do a good job of being practical riding gear that can be worn everyday without looking like you are trying for the next olympic team - then I am behind it!

I see it as a real opportunity for the cycle clothing industry to MTFU (or WTFU) and make not only the hardcore racing stuff less pink, but also to make the leisure clothes less geeky and more in keeping with modern times and modern lifestyles. What woman would want to go out to dinner or for drinks in full pink lycra or sports kit!!

Assuming not everything is pink of course!

It is easy for us boys as there are allot of options open to us, combat pants/tee shirts and so on) - we, probably dress less to impress!! (well, I do!)
  • Anonymous
    sarajoy wrote:
    Thing is, it'd be one thing if they were selling clothes - but it appears to be rubbish little accessories like saddle bags, trouser clips, caps, peaked headbands, etc.

From the article: "The company are due to launch a clothing range at the end of the summer"
  • sarajoy
    Ah, my fault for skim-reading.

I'll reserve judgement until I see the actual range and if they've bothered to make it out of decent fabric.

Was looking at the M&S range the other day (went in for a couple of sports bras), but nearly all their items boast "cotton rich"! Surely that's not really what's best..?
  • DonDaddyD
    Also on the subject of fashion and sex appeal.

I find it far more appealing to see a women who has thrown her gender taboo's to the wind and wears proper cycle clothing for the purpose of cycling. I respect those women who disregard social taboos to enjoy the activity or sport they love.

Trying to to keep up with a lycra-clad female roadie is more attractive to me than riding behind some fashion concious bimbleton dressed in todays latest vogue on one of those Brick Lane approved single speeds with a gear inch barely in double digits.

Fakengers don't ride bikes! They ride fashion statements and that sickens me.

*Goes off to play Rage Against the Machines: Know your enemy!*
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Furthermore!

@gtvlusso and beegee

There is nothing wrong with not wearing lycra, you don't have to go all Vicky Pendleton for the commute or to simply ride a bike. But while many of the proper cycle specific clothing companies are clearly chauvinistic when it comes to their womens range. This isn't exactly the opposite side of the spectrum. There is a need for more 'casual' cycle clothing for all, is the Top Shop range with its pink, garish colours and little practicality any less patronising or chauvinistic?

I mean a Bra Bag!? Come one!
    Food Chain number = 4

• sarajoy
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Furthermore!

@gtvlusso and beegee

There is nothing wrong with not wearing lycra, you don't have to go all Vicky Pendleton for the commute or to simply ride a bike.
    Maybe Vicky Pollard would suit better? :P

That's one reason that all this high-st 'leisure' wear is so abhorrent - even if velour /was/ any good for breathability and wicking (hrmmm), I'm afraid the snob in me simply couldn't put them on as I'd look in the mirror and think I ought to have a pram and a fag to go with...
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    my RN friend saw the kit in topshop the other day when he was up in the city (he says he was shopping in topman at the time!) his reaction....'Bloody useless, but wouldn't mind seeing a few of the cycling Wrens in it sometime' :lol:

as politically correct as ever :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    sarajoy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Furthermore!

@gtvlusso and beegee

There is nothing wrong with not wearing lycra, you don't have to go all Vicky Pendleton for the commute or to simply ride a bike.
    Maybe Vicky Pollard would suit better? :P

That's one reason that all this high-st 'leisure' wear is so abhorrent - even if velour /was/ any good for breathability and wicking (hrmmm), I'm afraid the snob in me simply couldn't put them on as I'd look in the mirror and think I ought to have a pram and a fag to go with...

And they only seem to come in size 18 and over :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    I'm sorry but those accessories look hideous and polyester-tastic and would put me off cycling!

If it means that more cycle-specific manufacturers look at extending their ladies gear though, then I'm all for it. I never thought I'd hear myself say these words but there is such a thing as too much pink. And, even worse (I do love a bit of pink so can cope with that) what is with the little "floral" swooshy type motifs on women specific gear? Yuck.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Whoever said further up that they find this rather patronising has hit the nail on the head.

A 'bra bag' that 'fits a pair of heels'. Awesome. A specific bag for your heels. Because they don't fit in anything else, and that's a major consideration for any female - we won't go anywhere without our heels, you know. :roll:

Frankly, I find this range rather idiotic. Teenage girls, being the target market, are not going to be persuaded to get on a bike just because they can buy spangly things from topshop. They can do that anyway. The clothing in the article is pretty well identical to what is already available in Topshop, or somewhere like American Apparel. It'll just be a lot more expensive because it's cycling-specific.

The Team GB olympic success, or even groups like the trixie chicks are FAR more likely to encourage girls onto bikes than some pretentious fashionista.

Clear? ;)
  • alien
    alien Posts: 54
    there's another clothing line recently reported here - Will be sold in Evans

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/articl ... %2Farticle

no pink!
  • lost_in_thought
    alien wrote:

no pink!

But then surely you can just wear outdoor gear? Labelling outdoor clothing as 'cycling-specific' and adding 20% to the price is not an improvement!
  • alien
    alien Posts: 54
    alien wrote:

no pink!

But then surely you can just wear outdoor gear? Labelling outdoor clothing as 'cycling-specific' and adding 20% to the price is not an improvement!

exactly :(

oh! the trousers do have little straps. :-)
  • gtvlusso
    Well, I kinda hope it at least encourages manufacturers to think more about female requirement's on all levels!! At least!
  • lost_in_thought
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Well, I kinda hope it at least encourages manufacturers to think more about female requirement's on all levels!! At least!

As long as it doesn't make them think 'oh, so what women want is fashionable tat with little technical capacity at an elevated price'...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Well gold old Swrve do decent looking Women's kit - not much of it mind:

http://www.swrve.co.uk/womens%20hiding%20hoodie.html

http://www.swrve.co.uk/womens%20shorts.html
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:

As long as it doesn't make them think 'oh, so what women want is fashionable tat with little technical capacity at an elevated price'...

Yeah - agree +1!
  • lost_in_thought
    Well gold old Swrve do decent looking Women's kit - not much of it mind:

http://www.swrve.co.uk/womens%20hiding%20hoodie.html

http://www.swrve.co.uk/womens%20shorts.html

Yeah, there's a nod to us girls there, I agree. I don't like their stuff myself, but that's just personal preference.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Personally I will be sticking with my local bike store and the Royal Navy Cycling Club supplies

Cycling for me isn't a fashion parade so why not wear the same kit as the blokes as long as it fits ok.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • DonDaddyD
    NGale wrote:
    Personally I will be sticking with my local bike store and the Royal Navy Cycling Club supplies

Cycling for me isn't a fashion parade so why not wear the same kit as the blokes as long as it fits ok.

I keep forgetting that your not a dude.... Damn avatars :?
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If Topshop branch into "serious sportswear" should Assos start making skinny jeans and ironic t-shirts. Come on, Topshop are reacting to what they perceive as an under-represented market - makes good business sense! Whether we like it (or feel patronised by it) isn't the point - it's an encouraging sign and there will, no doubt, be some female cyclists out there who think "fantastic, this is JUST what I've been waiting for!"

DDD, I love my lycra and almost never cycle in casual clothes but for the majority of riders ain't gonna be seen dead in it. I think it's fair to say you're not the target demographic so while you are entitled to your view, I'm not sure you're entitled to decree what IS and ISN'T appropriate cycle wear.