Chainring worn ???

paulieb2006
paulieb2006 Posts: 318
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Was just indexing my gears and discovered that some of the teeth on the outer chainring look to be worn a lot worse than others. Only have 5-6 hundred miles done on the bike. Is this normal that they should be so uneven or what could be causing it to happen. Does it really matter???
Thanks

Comments

• rickhotrod
    rickhotrod Posts: 181
    You should be able to go through a number of chains before the chainrings need replacing. At least this is the case if you replace each chain before it has stretched too much.

The "worn" teeth may not actually be worn. All the teeth wear together at the same rate.

Some teeth are smaller than others when new. This is to help with shifting from one chainring to another.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    This is to help with shifting from one chainring to another

I always wondered why that was! :oops:
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    5-6 hundred miles doesn't sound right. I just changed my chainring and the old one had done just over 10k miles
  • paulieb2006
    paulieb2006 Posts: 318
    Called to my LBS earlier and got a look at a 105 front chainring and it is exactly the same. Seems its the norm, to aid shifting and the "Worn Teeth" are is certain areas which correspond to your pedal stroke. Suppose the idea is that you dont put too much pressure where the "Worn Teeth" are. Kind of makes since.