is this saddle a good deal

trevtherev
trevtherev Posts: 372
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
I'm still searching for a spare saddle for my genesis day 01....tried a few and still not happy...this is certainly a good deal...but is it any good?

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=41

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
www.runningfree.co.uk

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Have you tried a Charge Spoon ?
    If not get one, best £20 saddle out there :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    +1 Charge Spoon my man, at under 20 quid you really can't go wrong.

I've never even heard of the saddle you linked to, it may not be suitable for your arse at all!!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    FWIW I just switched to a Spoon and first impressions are good. The ridiculously low price is just another bonus.

SDG I think do mtb stuff, so it may not be good for road use.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    The charge spoon is now £25 on Wiggle, and I can't find one cheaper anywhere else.

For a pound-fifty more, I am considering this one. The main difference is the cut out in the middle, which should help on those long rides.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • doktorsteve
    doktorsteve Posts: 112
    I'm sick of seeing these plugs for Charge Spoons.
    I have been riding on a Rido for 18 months and my mates kept taking the piss so I bought a Charge Spoon.
    Compared with the Rido it has longer rails so it can be set back further which was also something I wanted. Also there are no well defined positions for you sit bones so you can move back and forth depending on the terrain. Even sitting on the nose is comfy.

BUT, and here is the deal breaker for me, that comfy padding creates a hump in the centre which causes me to go numb after an hour.
    I tried tilting the saddle down to try to relieve this pressure but I still found that I was still avoiding getting down on the drops.

After a few rides I have gone back to the Rido. Instantly I am down on drops again and there is no numbness at all.

I really wanted to like the Charge Spoon, especially to avoid the pisstakes and because it looks good on my bike, but it does not work for me and it seems to take the fun out of my rides. Maybe I missed something. Maybe they change shape after a few hours. If that is the case then please someone let me know.
    100% ME!
    Do you think I would be this bad on drugs?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Crikey! I just checked on Wiggle and I paid £17.99 cos it was part of an order over £50. It's still a bargain at £25 though
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    If it's cmfortable, then it's the best deal around(for you). Any saddle that you are comfortable on is worth every penny. Problem is finding that "certain" saddle.

Dennis Noward
  • doktorsteve
    Pedro,
    I would say that the Charge Spoon is only marginally better than your Viper. Just has a bit less padding and you tend to sit round it more.
    IMHO any saddle with a slot has the chance to be better than a Charge Spoon as long as there is not too much padding.

Steve
    100% ME!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    So what do you guys recommend instead of the Viper that doesn't break the bank? :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I really wanted to like the Charge Spoon, especially to avoid the pisstakes and because it looks good on my bike, but it does not work for me and it seems to take the fun out of my rides. Maybe I missed something.

I doubt you have missed anything. The Spoon is a great saddle, but it is not going to be perfect for everyone. It might just be that the shape simply does not suit you....
  • doktorsteve
    Thanks Softlad. Maybe I am just a bit sensitve. Or maybe I need to see the doc about the health of my nether region!

Hi Gabriel959
    How can I say what is better than the Viper. I just know the Spoon is a similar design with less padding (which in my view is a good thing). If you get on with the Viper then you will probably get on with a Spoon.

If you want to try something radical then SJS are selling black Rido 1s at £20 and glow in the dark RIDO 1s for £10 + £2.50 postage.

Is that cheap enough?

I am almost tempted to get one to wind my mates up even more!
    100% ME!
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Charge Spoon ...AND they had WHITE!!
    http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products. ... 83s81p3287
    Just over £20.00 inc delivery ..mine arrived this afternoon
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Pedro,
    I would say that the Charge Spoon is only marginally better than your Viper. Just has a bit less padding and you tend to sit round it more.
    Steve

Oh, thank you. I didn't think the Spoon would be much of an upgrade. I'll consider the BBB Anatomic. I like the idea of having a cutout.

I've also noticed that Wiggle are doing Ritchey Streem Pro saddles at a good price. Does anyone have experience of using them? On baskets over £50, combined with a Fiver off voucher, they are below £30.

cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    btw has anyone got a wiggle voucher that they are not planning to use?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra