what's the longest TT distance you would do without drinking

csp
csp Posts: 777
edited April 2009 in Amateur race
I'm doing my first TT this weekend, and it's 30 km long, hilly course. Should I attempt it without a bottle?

Comments

• huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    I wouldn't - I usually drink at least every 5 miles. On a hilly course you'll get even thirstier...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I don't see any point in not taking water along. Your body may not need the water but
    sometimes the simple refreshment value of a gulp of water can make you feel a bit better and that's worth something when you're 3/4 of the way to the finish and feel like you're going to die. Just a little pick me up to see you through to the end.

Dennis Noward
  • I take it you are referring to the fabled Evilcycling.com beer hand up?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    dennisn wrote:
    I don't see any point in not taking water along. Your body may not need the water but
    sometimes the simple refreshment value of a gulp of water can make you feel a bit better and that's worth something when you're 3/4 of the way to the finish and feel like you're going to die. Just a little pick me up to see you through to the end.

There's also research which shows that even having a carbohydrate drink touching your mouth now and then improves performance see
    here
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • DoubleTop
    DoubleTop Posts: 48
    csp wrote:
    I'm doing my first TT this weekend, and it's 30 km long, hilly course. Should I attempt it without a bottle?

30km about 18.5 miles is a strange distance, but if you take enough liquids on before and of a certain level of fitness then you should be able to do around 1hr to 1 1/2 hrs without taking on extra liquids. The question is do you have to take a drink during a period of hard exercise of around the 1 hr marker?

I dont think a drink will help you during the event, but only slow you down.

DT
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    I'd take a drink on anything longer than a 10 mile TT.

hill cllimbs and 10's don't need them. If you can find time to drink in a 10 your not going hard enough in my opinion.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I would take a drink, whether I would actually drink I am not too sure. I have taken a swig of drink on a 25m TT, but that was near the end.

As above, if you are going hard, and trying to keep aero, drinking is the last thing you worry about.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah 10's I used to do without a bottle but 25's with, for 18.5 I'd probably have a bottle (it's only going to cost you a few seconds)
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    No point it will only slow you down, as well as distract you. If you don't have a bottle you're going to be thinking about going as fast as you can, not drinking.
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    dont bother.just take a gel instead :wink:
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    The only way you'll truelly know is to ride the course at 110% without drinking.

If you can do that fine don't take a bottle.

Personally I'd take one, its tenths of a seconds lost, maybe add up to one or two whole seconds, if you drink regularly, but as has been mentioned, when you need a drink its vital.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    edited April 2009
    Nothing longer than a 10.

I used to take one with me on a 10 and take a couple of gulps but it was wasted time.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    batch78 wrote:
    The only way you'll truelly know is to ride the course at 110%............l.
    Hmm, could be a challenge.......

Ruth
  • I rode a 25km TT last weekend without a bidon. On that course it's a bit over 40-min for me. No big deal. Indeed the rig I borrowed doesn't have a bidon cage. I rode same course one month earlier and did take a bidon (I was on a different bike). I took a sip at the turn point but didn't really need it.

Many don't bother for 40km (25mi) TTs of ~ 1hr. Personal preference.

Perhaps if it is very hot then it would be worthwhile.
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    batch78 wrote:
    The only way you'll truelly know is to ride the course at 110%............l.
    Hmm, could be a challenge.......

Ruth
    Not for Spinal Tap fans
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I have a bleeding obvious suggestion but one that oddly many people don't get, take a bottle but don't fill it past half full. You'll have some water just to prevent dry mouths etc. but it won't weigh you down very much.

I wouldn't bother with a bottle for under 45 minutes racing, and anything above 1hr 15mins then I would. Between these it kind of depends on temps, feeling on the day etc.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Well, there you have it. Half voted yes, take water, the other half no, don't bother.
    Hope this clears it all up for you. :wink::wink:
    Sometimes I get the feeling that nothing is known for sure about any cycling subject. It's
    all speculation i.e. Campy vs Shimano, clinchers vs tubulars, seat height, seat angle,
    titanium vs carbon, aero vs light weight, to take water or not, which wheels to buy, and on and on.

Dennis Noward
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I always get the feeling nothing is known for sure Dennis! God damn disbelievers. :D

Thanks Ruth, you work for Sir Alan?

As Alex says 11 is where its at!
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    did a 25mile tt today and didn't really feel the need for a drink, think time you loose having i drink i doubt you would gain from having it, allthough on a hilly course you wouldn't loose as much time, think i would maybe take 1/4 of a bottle if it was hot. But as said before just make sure you drink plenty before the race then plenty after and you should be fine