Dead Leg Days

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
So, earlier this week I had an attack of dead legs. Cycling seemed a lot more like hard work, legs didn't seem to want to play at all, felt heavy and, well, dead!

I've noted that other posters occasionally suffer from the same or similar, and just wondered what might cause it?

I have a mental list of options:

1. overexertion - not really consistently applicable
2. dehydration
3. lack of carb intake - doubtful, I'm not exactly doing a lot of exercise
4. lack of sleep
5. lack of stretching

Any thoughts or solutions welcomed! :D

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    tired_legs_1.jpg

For heavy legs! Are you French?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    So, earlier this week I had an attack of dead legs. Cycling seemed a lot more like hard work, legs didn't seem to want to play at all, felt heavy and, well, dead!

I've noted that other posters occasionally suffer from the same or similar, and just wondered what might cause it?

I have a mental list of options:

1. overexertion - not really consistently applicable
    2. dehydration
    3. lack of carb intake - doubtful, I'm not exactly doing a lot of exercise
    4. lack of sleep
    5. lack of stretching

Any thoughts or solutions welcomed! :D

I think you need to post a recent picture of your legs so that we can make a full assessment and give you a proper answer.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • lost_in_thought
    :lol::lol:

I had no idea it was a gallic malady... and I doubt that moisturising would help!

But seriously. I want rid of it, heavy legs, dead legs, whatever... what am I not doing, I wonder?
  • gtvlusso
    All I can tell you is that Marmite, yes, Marmite cure Resless leg Syndrome.....And the French suffer from Heavy legs (personally, I think it is because they are lazy :-))
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945

I had no idea it was a gallic malady... and I doubt that moisturising would help!

But seriously. I want rid of it, heavy legs, dead legs, whatever... what am I not doing, I wonder?
    Resting.
    Seriously. You're still building up after a serious injury, need more rest/recovery days
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    My legs have been heavy after the weekends ride but I figured that 85 miles and 8500ft would leave me that way. I think I could have helped myself more by re hydrating better after the ride and perhaps more food to replenish the depleated stocks. I think in reality I just need to admit to myself that my legs don't recover quite as quickly as they used to.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Last nights head wind didn't help either!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • jonginge
    Feltup wrote:
    My legs have been heavy after the weekends ride but I figured that 85 miles and 8500ft would leave me that way. I think I could have helped myself more by re hydrating better after the ride and perhaps more food to replenish the depleated stocks. I think in reality I just need to admit to myself that my legs don't recover quite as quickly as they used to.
    Yeah. I force myself to get some carbs and protein down soon after a long ride. And rehydrate. Both of those don't come naturally to me but are supposed to help a lot in recovery terms.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Just MTFU or WTFU you choose :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Loads of times I think I'm being lazy/tired/etc and then suddenly realise there's actually a decent amount of headwind.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I get the same from boozing.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968

1) 1-2km easy spinning at end of your ride home
    2) Stretch

If that fails:
    3) Enlist male sucker to massage legs with arnica oil once a week (sounds like you'll have enough volunteers)
  • gtvlusso
    Sewinman wrote:

Bozzing and dating or just boozing?
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Bozzing and dating or just boozing?

If it was dating related I would be signing up for the TdF. Seriously after a few late nights my legs tend to go dead.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Rest days LiT, rest days. I aim to have 1 day off the bike per week. Rest is as important as riding.
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I tend to have it a couple of days before a period, my legs just dont work properly, even when walking and running etc.
  • DonDaddyD
    moonio wrote:
    I tend to have it a couple of days before a period, my legs just dont work properly, even when walking and running etc.

:shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Throlkim
    Throlkim Posts: 94
    Sewinman wrote:

I get that. Never had a hangover, but I wake up the next day and my legs ache.
  • lost_in_thought
    Rest days LiT, rest days. I aim to have 1 day off the bike per week. Rest is as important as riding.

Hmmmm. I feared as much.

Is there no alternative? Massive amounts of Isostar? Doing some different exercise eg swimming?
  • jonginge

Hmmmm. I feared as much.

Is there no alternative? Massive amounts of Isostar? Doing some different exercise eg swimming?
    Not really. Worst thing you can do is get into an 'overtrained', fatigued state where you need to take a week or two off exercise before your body recovers. Build up your aerobic base again gradually (ie spend more of the commute not engaged in SCR, incredibly difficult I know) and before you know it you'll be able to do more training volume without the fatigue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining
    eg: http://www.sportingperformance.co.uk/Ae ... aining.htm
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge

Hmmmm. I feared as much.

If it's their recovery product soon after riding, then that'll help some. Most of the time I get some carbs/ protein in within 15mins of getting off the bike. A banana and some honey roast peanuts is favourite at the moment :D
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    exactly how far are you commuting :?

even with 2 days off a week most i know are strugging by the fifth day
  • DonDaddyD
    doog442 wrote:
    exactly how far are you commuting :?

even with 2 days off a week most i know are strugging by the fifth day

Its not the distance. Its because she pushes a gear so large her big ring has its own orbit. :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

• doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    sounds painful :(

drugs dont kill people..fixies do :wink:
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Aim to have one day off entirely.

Unsubstantiated though this is, my rowing coach used to say that we all have physical cycles. Womens' most obvious ones result in a murder every 4 weeks or so, but everyone have some weeks where you think you might snap the chain, and others where you fear being overtaken by a child on a trike.

Don't worry about it - just go with the flow. Rip the chain off when you can, spin when you can't.

Peace.
  • (to the tune of "stars and stripes forever")

EPO EPO EPO! EPO EPO EPO-OH! EPO EPO EPO! EPO-OH! E-P-O!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    After being ill, my legs are still building up to what they were and I can't quite maintin the power over the week yet... I cycled 40 miles today (3 13ish milers and my legs are fricked they were beforehand... it's frustrating

Saturday might be my first Richmond park lap set, least it'll be an easy time to beat :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Today, for the first time in a long time, I felt fatigued both on the way to work (not so uncommon) and on the way back. It may have just been the headwind in the home leg (and I still managed a very respectable 26.30 rolling minutes) but something didn't feel right. So I'm actually staying off the bike tomorrow, much to my chagrin, and hoping that a long ride on the weekend will be both more useful and a lot more fun than one day's commute when I might have overdone it.
  • lost_in_thought
    Hmmmmm... this is all interesting stuff...

I don't think I'm doing enough right now to be overtraining, but I suppose I'm not as fit as I was last year. Curses. Must... regain... fitness.

I'm only doing 80 miles or so a week on the commute, plus varying weekend mileages, last weekend's being zero (forgot speedplay shoes), and I had dead legs on monday... And the gym 2 or 3 times, and Pilates which barely counts as exercise... I'm one of those who doesn't feel they've had a workout unless they're sweating like an inappropriate simile.

Carbs/protein within 15 mins, hey? Well my protein intake has been a bit down as I'm trying to drop the weight I gained over xmas, so I'll increase that again. And I bought some high5, but that's for longer rides, not commuting.

I'm going to try the adequate hydration, increased protein and lots of stretching... and have a day off the bike this weekend. Or just pootle with the family.