Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

Standing in drops

adh038adh038 Posts: 67
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Does anybody else have difficulty standing/sprinting with their hands in the drops?

No matter how much i ride, I still find it an odd experience!

• EctomorphEctomorph Posts: 69
    I struggled for months with my new fixed until eventually I took it in to my LBS (plug: the excellent Rayment Cycles in Brighton) where they spent 20mins setting it up for me: dropped the saddle loads, moved it forward a tad & flipped the stem. Now it's transformed and riding/sprinting/climbing in the drops is no problem at all. Have a look at your set up; I can't believe I'd let mine drift so far out.

Ecto.
    Only a Pawn in their Game...
  • kingrollokingrollo Posts: 3,163
    Yes - I never used to - but maybe I have just gotten to comfy sitting down !
  • redddraggonredddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The more you do it, the more you get used it. On my carbon bike with a slightly too tall headtube I find standing in the drops safer/more comfortable than using the hoods.

It also helps to have decent shaped bars, ergo bars aren't ergonomic for the majority of people - most people are better off with some sort of compact or round shaped bars.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • gtitimgtitim Posts: 225
    I have to say I find this hard. I agree with reddragon that handlebar shape plays a big role. Its not often that I really need to do it so maybe its just lack of practice but it feels rather unintuitive to me.
  • fnegronifnegroni Posts: 794
    The more you do it, the more you get used it.

+1
  • CTMLCTML Posts: 53
    I had this exact problem a while ago when i was still getting used to my new bike, i found that i would wobble around alot and find it very difficult to keep a straight line but its all down to getting used to your positioning and where you hold the drops
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Standing on the pedals with hands on the drops is probably the hardest position to hold for any period as it really tests your 'core' muscles - that said, I find it the most 'powerful' position on a bike and so suited for sprints and short, hard climbs. A lot depends on the drop from your saddle to the bars - the more extreme the harder to sustain. Lots of practise and core body exercises to help develop the strength.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..