Handlebars - Compact Carbon

TheStone
TheStone Posts: 2,291
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi, can anyone advise some new handlebars. Was looking at the FSA Compact Carbon (SL-K or K Force - can't tell the difference), but can't find anyone stocking in 44cm.

Any other good options?
Is it worth going carbon or is alloy just as good?

ta
exercise.png

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Personally I wouldn't bother with carbon bars, price premium doesn't really bring any advantages IMO.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Personally I wouldn't bother with carbon bars, price premium doesn't really bring any advantages IMO.

Agreed. Especially if you race or ride Sportives.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I recently bought some FSA K-Wing Compact bars and love them.

They are really comfortable as the design of them means that you are not quite as low when in the drops which means I use that position more. Someone told me that compact bars are only really beneficial for people with smaller hands but I disagree. My hands are quite large (I buy XL gloves/mitts) but I often found it difficult to change gear when in the drops on my old ergo shaped bars as my fingers seemed too far from the shifters. I no longer have this problem as my hands are closer.

I also get a lot less road vibration than on my old alloy bars.

Finally, all cabling is routed through the bars and aesthetically they look really really cool with the flat surface and decals on the top. Whether or not they justify the £180 price tag I can't really say because it is a lot of money to spend on bars, but they are superb.

Brucey
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    just to add an alternative view - i love my carbon bars! :P

mine are sculptured on the tops similar to the k wings so it makes them much more comfy than alloy bars.

i agree if you went for normal bar shape, then i don't see any advantage with carbon.
    regards,
    dbb
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    I agree with above - I love my new carbon bars.

They might not be lighter than Alu bars - but the advantage comes in being able to make them in a mould and therefore add ergonomic shape to the bar where alu bars are just bent tubes.

I have the Cinelli Neo Morphe and I have to say they are one of the best upgrades I have put on my bike - not the cheapest right enough - but really sweet - great to use and very very comfortable.
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    I have switched back and forth between quite a few bars in the past 4 months. My bike came with some bog standard alloy bars that were to say the least....alright.

I replaced these with a very nice one piece carbon integrated bar-stem arrangement. I found this more comfortable and it was definitily less juddery than the alloy, significantly reducing road buzz. This then snapped in half when I got hit by a van >=[ ....so it was back to the alloys for a month.

A few weeks ago, I got the FSA K-Wing bar with OS-99 stem....this combination is extremely nice with flat tops that I get on very well with.....and personally, I think they really do a good job of reducing road buzz so I experience a smoother ride. Just my few thoughts....hope this helps.
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Thanks for the info.

I've gone for the FSA K Wing in the end. Looks interesting. I like the idea of the cables going through the bars.
    exercise.png
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Very good choice :wink:
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    Agreed.....I am loving the K-wings.
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)