Stamina exersizes?...

Bubgum
Bubgum Posts: 20
edited April 2009 in Health, fitness & training
My first ride yesterday was about 4.5 miles, mostly gravel path, some rough-ish terrain but not much. But it took my about an hour, and I was knackered! :shock: Is this really bad? If so are there any exersizes that can increase stamina?... (I don't have much acess to a gym. I can go into the school one for an hour every 2 weeks. :P)

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Depends what you're classing as 'stamina'

Stamina to me would be 6+ hours.

Stamina to you may be doing that ride at a higher pace.

I personally find Hill sprints as good a start point as any... sprint the hils... then cruise back down... sprint... down.... etc etc.

You can combine this with both cycle sprints and running sprints
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Just go riding more. That's it.
  • Have a day off, then ride the route again.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    whyamihere wrote:
    Just go riding more. That's it.

Yep. you'll be amazed how quick you'll make progress. If you ride enough you'll get to the point of being able to go all day (if fed and watered) quite quick.
  • Bubgum
    Bubgum Posts: 20
    Awesome. Thanks guys! :)
  • Mike5483
    Mike5483 Posts: 3
    Ive only been back on my bike about 3 weeks and the first time I rode to work, i went the long way thinking I'd be fine, when I got there I felt so sick!!!

But now after three weeks, I can do that ride easy and I have done a 19 mile ride already in 1.5 hrs, so I'm quite pleased with my progress.

I think the other thing is technique, finding a good rhythm etc, breathing well.