Replacement headset for a Langster.

valerian
valerian Posts: 36
edited July 2016 in Workshop
I am trying to get to grips with the black art of threadless headsets, being more used to the good old threaded variety, which I could actually understand !

I have one of the £99 Langster frames from last year and the headset it came with is truly shocking quality. After doing a search on here I understand robbarker was going to fit a Cane Creek IS2 as a replacement but I don't know whether that swap worked or not.

Anyone done a headset swap on a Langster, and if so, what did you use ?

Cheers,

Don.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    From what I can find your langster has a Mindset headset in it. The Spec Tarmac appears to have the same headset and can apparently be replaced with a Cane Creek headset see thread here Good luck
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • valerian
    Thank you for the reply. I'll give that article a better read after work, but it does appear that there is some scepticism as to whether the Cane Creek will fit a Langster.

If anyone else has any thoughts they'd still be most welcome as well.

Cheers,

Don.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    I'm not sure about this one. I'd call one of the big specialized stores and ask to speak to a mechanic rather than a sales lizard. When you do get one that works, let us know which! The supplied headset is crap and I'd like to upgrade mine.

I did get around to buying an IS2 once as I couldn't get my headset to adjust properly at one stage. I never fitted it as I found that the star nut thread was the cause of the problem, so replaced that instead, and I've since returned the headset.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Found elsewhere on the net so i can not vouch for it.
    Here's a step-by-step:

1. Remove bearings and everything you can by hand. You should be left with two black cup things in the head tube (they have holes in them) and a race on the fork.
    2. Remove the cups from the head tube. I very carefully used a hammer and screwdriver. I know it's scary, but my standard cup pusher wouldn't work because of the way Specialized forms the headtube. The cups pop out without too much work, but if you're worried about the caveman method, take the frame to a Specialized shop and they can remove them. After the cups are out, the head tube looks like any other integrated head tube.
    3. Purchase Cane Creek IS-2 headset (the other cane creek headsets will work fine, I just happened to use the IS-2).
    4. Install new race on fork (the old might work, I don't know.).
    5. Push bearings into head tube by hand.
    6. The Specialized headset was a bit taller on top than the Cane Creek, so I had to use a 3mm spacer above the bearing, but below the top cap. The 3mm is just a regular head tube space that normally goes above the headset.
    7. Your done. I've got thousands of miles on my Cane Creek headset in my Roubaix with no issues.

hope it helps.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • valerian
    Thank you for the replies.

I think I will get a few miles out of the headset which came with the frame and then go down the Cane Creek route.

As I mentioned before, I was brought up on the old style of headset which seemed very substantial in comparison to today's offering. The Langster Mindset headset which came with the frame doesn't look up to the job to the point that I'm worried that the headtube itself could get damaged as the races for the ball bearings aren't up to much.

Anyone got any thoughts on what the likelihood of damaging the frame is by running such a substandard headset ?

Any input gratefully received, as ever.

Thanks

Don.
  • Have the same issue with my tricross single speed/fixed. Have ordered a set of replacement IS2 cartridge bearings for £13.99 from CRC. Will let you know if these work as a direct replacement without the need to replace any of the other components..

And you are right sealing on the mindset headset is shocking, especially as these bikes are purchased as a reduced maintenance option.
    Focus Cayo
    Planet x stealth
    Ritchey Breakaway Steel Cross
    Specialized Singlecross Fixed 46:16
  • valerian
    Thank you, I'll be very interested to hear the outcome re a bearing swap.

Cheers,

Don.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not having seen the "mindset" could anyone post a picture of the inside of a head tube when they do the change over.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • At long last the headset is a Cane Creek IS integrated Headset once cups mentioned below are removed, these are similar to standard headset bearing cups..
    Got my Cane Creek IS2 replacement cartridge bearings yesterday and managed to fit them tonight.
    There is a cup pressed into the upper and lower head tube openings, these are black in colour and are where the bearings seat, these need to be removed.
    I have removed these myself using a screwdriver being careful not too damage the head, this is simple though.
    The cartridge bearings are then a simple swap retaining the crown race thats fitted to the fork crown but removing the lower part of the original bearing, again black in colour and should just lift off.
    The top bearing is then placed in the top of the head tube then the top part of the original race needs seperating, removed the black part and retain the silver split ring as this requires refitting in the orientation it was removed.
    Fit top cover/seal and cone spacer and refit stem etc and tighten as required.
    Now the lower bearing clearances are identical to the original but I have a gap of 1.5 between seal and head tube on upper.
    Plan to file about 1.5/2mm from the upper flat of the silver split ring come the weekend.

Headset runs much smoother without play and generally feels much better quality and will have much better sealing once I have closed this small gap.

Most importantly will be maintenance free with replacement bearings £13.99 from CRC.

I know it sounds long winded but is very easy and cheap, I have just tried to describe every detail that I see as relevant.

Hope that helps Don

or anyone else with a similar dilema.

Any problems feel free to ask further questions.
    Focus Cayo
    Planet x stealth
  • valerian
    Wow, thank you very much for the effort you've put into that reply karlmoreton !

All very useful stuff which I should be able to follow once the time comes. .... as I mentioned, I intend to get a few miles out of the mindset out of sheer pig-headedness, but it's reassuring to know that there are options available.

Thanks once again,

Don.
  • Just a quick update, reseated silver split and all fits okay without modification ( so no filing required, just remove cups and inner races, cost £13.99).

Beats paying £34.99 for a full headset when its not required.

May even upgrade to IS6/8 replacement bearings which are stainless steel but identical in dimensions/spec in the future.. :D
    Focus Cayo
    Planet x stealth
  • valerian
    That's good news, it was the filing bit which I thought I might struggle with.

Thanks again,

Don.
  • fotochap
    fotochap Posts: 1
    Thanks for the advice - just used this to overhaul the headset on my 2010 Langster (Matt Black) which says Cane Creek on the outside, but seems to have the same obscure internals. It worked perfectly and the steering is now super-smooth!

Here's some photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlietyack/sets/72157656202278478
  • Notts lad
    Notts lad Posts: 2
    fotochap wrote:
    Thanks for the advice - just used this to overhaul the headset on my 2010 Langster (Matt Black) which says Cane Creek on the outside, but seems to have the same obscure internals. It worked perfectly and the steering is now super-smooth!

Here's some photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlietyack/sets/72157656202278478

HI Folks, I've just joined and I'm having the same problem with my 2010 matt black Langster. This thread is very useful, as were the photos from fotochap, however and before I start work on my bike, could I ask the following questions please, just to clarify:

1) after hammering out the black cups at the top and bottom of the headtube, do you then have to remove anything else internally, or, do the IS2 cartridge bearings simply sit inside the headtube, top & bottom?

2) does the rest of the headset get put back together in the same way as you took it apart ie are they any of the original headset parts that you do not use again / need, if so, why please?

3) do you have to add / subtract any of the spacers from the top part of the headset when putting the stem back together.

Apologies in advance if my cycling terminology is not correct, but any replies would be appreciated please, thank you.
  • There are lots of threads on this search mindset and read away, here's a good one to start as it's got loads of detail and links to spesh compatibility chart

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12963941&hilit=Mindset
  • Notts lad
    Notts lad Posts: 2
    There are lots of threads on this search mindset and read away, here's a good one to start as it's got loads of detail and links to spesh compatibility chart

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12963941&hilit=Mindset

Excellent and very help - many thanks :D