Michelin Tyres

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Anyone got the Pro Race 3's as advertised here?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/s/cycle/7/michelin

If so, have you found them to be very puncture resistant?

Comments

• FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Just bought Pro Race 3 from Ribble (£23), on recommendations from this forum.

Only had them fitted for 1 day so can't really comment on performance.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    About 1000 miles with 1 puncture. That one was something that would have got anything.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Had them on for most of the winter, with only one puncture from a massive pothole I missed . They seemed to have a few cuts, but no punctures from flints or the like. I would say they are pretty good puncture wise, certainly better than some of the tyres fitted to fellow club mates bikes.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Bad time to ask. I've had two punctures in 2 days with these, one due to [prob] a thorn going through the tread, and this morning a small shard of glass going in, again through the tread. They're a great tyre when they're up, but I'm less than impressed at their ability to withstand normal road debris.

Have a look at this over on Commuting. I'm off to my meeting now.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    edited April 2009
    The aren't meant to be puncture proof they are meant as a compromise between fast rolling and some puncture resistance. I love mine. Done about 700 miles on them and they are great in the wet and in corners and that outweights any concerns I may over their puncture resistance. Its all about your own priorities.

I should say that I have never punctured - ever however the pro3 race are only a new addition. My previous tyres are Ultremos (which are quite similiar though not just as good IME) and Spesh Armadillos (which are brilliant for puncture resistance however roll really, really badly). My winter commute was mostly done on the Ultremos however I've been using the Pro 3 race for about the last 5-6 weeks and they seem as good as those in terms of how the cut up.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    If you want a compromise from the likes of Marathons/Armadillos and ProRace3/Ultremos I think the Krylions will fit the bill.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Conti GP4000S are better tires - IMHO. I run both (on diff wheels) the PR3's punctured on their first outing...
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Conti GP4000S are better tires - IMHO. I run both (on diff wheels) the PR3's punctured on their first outing...

And I know plenty of club mates on the Conti's that have had a few punctures whilst I have had one from a pot hole, it just goes to show, what is good for one person is not so good for another.

Any tyre can puncture, it is a very thin strip of rubber on a material based carcass, most sharp things will find their way through eventually.

Any decent fastish tyre has a similar probability of puncturing, so choose between Conti 4000S, Michelin PR3, Ultremo R's and various others if you want performance over puncture protection, but choose more resistant tyres if puncture protection is more of an issue.
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    thanks for all the tips.

My decision is: Michelin Race 3's and I will be sweeping the entire section of my 40 mile ride with a broom before each ride.

Which begs the question...anyone recommend a good broom?
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    steerpike wrote:
    thanks for all the tips.

My decision is: Michelin Race 3's and I will be sweeping the entire section of my 40 mile ride with a broom before each ride.

Which begs the question...anyone recommend a good broom?

http://thebigbrushoff.com/ :wink:
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I'm between Krylions and GP400S.

Pro race 3 sound great, but too fragile for commuting on top of all round racing.
  • ohlala!
    ohlala! Posts: 121
    May I recommend Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick (the folding one), it looks like it doesn't have traction but don't let looks fool you, I can turn my bike in fast (thus low) without skidding as long as you pump the tyres to the correct air pressure for your weight.

I have them for commute and have been using them for 1 year without punctures, and is much cheaper than Miche's Pro 3. Weight wise - the folding tyre is about 240gr if I'm not mistaken.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    ohlala! wrote:
    May I recommend Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick (the folding one),

Puncture resistant, but ride like treacle :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr