Giant Yukon fx3 rear suspension question.

malik007
malik007 Posts: 5
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi. I am new to mountain biking and have a quick question about the rear air suspension on my yukon. As I took my first ride today it seemed my rear brake was rubbing on the brakes. Sort of a grinding noise.Could it be the suspension needs some air in and if so do i need a special pump for the job. Thank you.

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Disc brake rub will not be affected by the pressure in your shock. If it is only a very light rub it will pass when the pads break in. However, if rubbing is more serious then you might need to be looking at what's causing the rubbing. You can try re-seating the rear wheel for starters to ensure it is on straight. After that you couild look at re-aligning the caliper as this is also a common cause of brake rub.

Going back to air shocks - yes at some point you will want to get hold of a shock pump anyway in order to tweak it for the correct pressure for your weight and riding style/preference.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    malik007
    your brakes just need using. as they bed in they will sort them selves out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • reluctant
    reluctant Posts: 600
    Take it back to the dealer you bought it from to have an adjustment made to the brake. Even those mechanicals on the FX3 can be set up rub free from new. Buy a shock pump while you're there too. Presumably they set the shock to your body weight/ ride style already, but it's a good thing to have long term too.
  • malik007
    Thanks for your advice. I brought the bike online so I cant go back to the dealer to have my brakes adjusted. Will have a go at what you have all said. Cheers.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Hi Malik,the Yukon should have come with an air shock pump for you to adjust it your weight.When delivered my shock was fully pumped up and I had to let some out.You could ring the dealer and tell them that there wasn't one in the box and ask them to supply one.
  • malik007
    Thanks Janwal. Mine was from Pauls cycles and did not come with a pump. Will give them a ring. Cheers.
  • malik007
    One final question. I was tatting around with the suspension when I got it and let quite a bit of air out.I know, stupid. Am going to get a pump tomorrow and was wondering how much pressure to put in. I weigh 88kgs. The pump I have seen is one in halfords for £19.99. The bikehut shock bike pump.Will this do the job.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    malik007 wrote:
    The pump I have seen is one in halfords for £19.99. The bikehut shock bike pump.Will this do the job.

Should be fine. I like shock pumps that have a two stage release preventing air loss when you disconnect the pump, something to check for.

As for the correct pressure, I would hope this info would be in the manual for the bike. If you don't have a manual it'd be worth looking for one on the web (perhaps a manual for the shock rather than the bike).