Ben Swift

mpd62
mpd62 Posts: 71
edited September 2009 in Pro race
some very impressive results , could it be he's the team Sky rider on the TDF podium in 5 years?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    won the bunch sprint today. He's the most likely candidate IMO if any one would do it...
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    I would have thought he was the most obvious at the moment
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Great name, excellent results. He seems fearless. But he needs to get a result, to actually turn a placing into a win. I'm sure he'll do this and a move away from the chaotic and slightly creepy Katusha team would probably be a good thing.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    mpd62 wrote:
    some very impressive results , could it be he's the team Sky rider on the TDF podium in 5 years?

Woah there. Yes his results are impressive, but most of them have been sprints. Let's see how he goes in the mountains before pegging him as a TDF podium rider.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    mpd62 wrote:

Woah there. Yes his results are impressive, but most of them have been sprints. Let's see how he goes in the mountains before pegging him as a TDF podium rider.

I think you're forgetting his dominant performance in the mountains classification in an international stage race some years ago.

What? Tour of Britain? Oh.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Think Brailsford is on record as saying that Swift never posted great numbers when in the Academy programme, but he knew instinctively how to race so don't think they're looking at him as a GT contendor but more as a classics/stage winner.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    mpd62 wrote:

I think you're forgetting his dominant performance in the mountains classification in an international stage race some years ago.

What? Tour of Britain? Oh.

He only narrowly lost on the final day this year too, admittedly it's not quite Mont Ventoux!

Funny I always had him down as more of a punchy rouleur/climber, but he's been doing very well in sprints, albeit not quite the full on bunch sprints like Cav. Perhaps Swift could be developing into a Bettini-style rider. And before anyone say's thats an analogy, I'm not saying he's anywhere the level of Paolo, but I'm just suggesting he could be in that style (e.g. able to win medium size sprints but also able to climb a bit).
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    Isn't he currently rated by a few DS as the top U-23 rider in Europe at the moment? I have high hopes for him.............get out of Katusha though
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • kickerbri
    kickerbri Posts: 53
    Brailsford reckons that last year Ben Swift was the best performing u23. He seems to be a jack of all trades and I like the comparison in style with Bettini. I can see him being a rider for the Ardennes along with Kennaugh.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Time to bump this thread given his first professional win in the ToB yesterday. It's a fine reward for an excellent debut season for Ben Swift, as he's been very close to the win a number of times. Well done. Let's hope it's the first of many.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Yeah, good news for Ben Swift, and good news for British cycling to see that not all of our stages go to Johnny Foreigner. :wink:
  • First year Katyusha pro Ben Swift started his Tour of Britain with a flourish, grabbing third place on the first stage. We spoke to him at the half way point – Blackpool.
    http://click.cyclingfever.com/?jump=3/9 ... 7822726-86
    interview.cyclingfever.com