Best mini pump?

giant_man
giant_man Posts: 6,878
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi guys - what do people on here use as a good mini pump that's not hard work for 100-120psi at the side of the road?

Comments

• MAMB
    MAMB Posts: 121
    I'm not sure there's such a thing as a *good* mini pump that's not hard work. However, my favourite at the moment is the Lezyne Pressure Drive Medium. It seems to get up to a decent pressure (although I think I've always given up around 100 psi). The big advantage for me is the separate hose which means you don't risk bending the valve stem if your pumping gets a bit vigorous :oops:
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Hi guys - what do people on here use as a good mini pump that's not hard work for 100-120psi at the side of the road?

You must learn to search - this has been asked a number of times.

My fav (as above) Lezyne Pressure Drive Med.

Good build quality, it is easy to use and pumps to high pressures.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    The title of this thread needs to be changed to "What is the least worst mini pump"?

BTW, how long is this Lezyne pump?
  • giant_man
    FSR_XC wrote:

My fav (as above) Lezyne Pressure Drive Med.

Good build quality, it is easy to use and pumps to high pressures.

Yes thank you FSR_XC I do know the rules of the forum mate. Been here longer than you have. I wanted some fresh opinions if that's ok with you :evil:
  • djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    Lezyne pressure drive and road drive are both excellent. I use both with no problems, they get you home when needed and are fairly easy to get to your pressure. The retro flexible hose is brilliant.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    MAMB wrote:
    I'm not sure there's such a thing as a *good* mini pump that's not hard work. However, my favourite at the moment is the Lezyne Pressure Drive Medium. It seems to get up to a decent pressure (although I think I've always given up around 100 psi). The big advantage for me is the separate hose which means you don't risk bending the valve stem if your pumping gets a bit vigorous :oops:

Got to agree with you about not bending or breaking the valve stem. What a pain when that happens. Something with a hose is the WAY. And if it's a mini pump you'll be very lucky to get even 90PSI out of it.

Dennis Noward
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Yes thank you FSR_XC I do know the rules of the forum mate. Been here longer than you have. I wanted some fresh opinions if that's ok with you :evil:
    Ouch . . :oops: . . I did also offer a valid answer.

Lezyne info can be found here
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    I got a Crank Bros mini-pump. Its a good sturdy little pump however its not mini enough for my frame. I just keep it in my jersey pocket. Bit annoying really.
    Shazam !!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Just get the Park Tools PMP5. A full size pump that cleverly folds down to fit most frames. Not a mini pump but when it's needed you'll think that the £20 it cost was well worth it

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail ... em=PMP%2D5
    M.Rushton
  • tenor
    tenor Posts: 278
    Depends why you want a mini - pump. If you intend to attach a pump to the frame then you might as well use a full frame fitting pump as they, well, pump better.
    If you intend to carry it in a seat pack or jersey then convenient size is probably the main criteria in which case the Lezyne medium may be too large.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    It fits in my jersey pocket just fine.
    I also have a lezyne road pump which is too big for the pocket but has a good bike attachment and weighs 105g and pumps to 120psi.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Another vote for the lezyne. I've had loads of mini pumps and this is the first one that is half decent. Simple, robust and functional. One tiny little criticism - it's very easy to knock off and lose the little O-ring on the schreader end of the tube that you screw into the pump if you are using the presta end. You've just got to be careful though.
    I got a Crank Bros mini-pump. Its a good sturdy little pump however its not mini enough for my frame. I just keep it in my jersey pocket. Bit annoying really.
    Had one of them, it lasted about 3 punctures before the valve stopped working...
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    I've been looking at the Topeak Mini Morph Pump. It claims to pump up to 160psi and isn't much heavier than the Lezyne.

It does look like a good value pump.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • antfly
    It`s a lot heavier and looks a bit cumbersome.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    FSR_XC wrote:

given the rate at which prices are moving its fair enough not searching for old threads on "buying advice"

+1 for lezyne - no valve damage
  • giant_man
    rally200 wrote:
    FSR_XC wrote:

given the rate at which prices are moving its fair enough not searching for old threads on "buying advice"

+1 for lezyne - no valve damage

Yes exactly my reason for asking about mini pumps again. Of course I searched previous posts first, I do know the forum rules. Been here long enough thank you.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    The Lezyne isn't large at all - it's smaller than a Blackburn airstick - in fact when I got the medium I thought maybe I could have got the larger size and still carried it in a pocket.
    The Lezyne is better at inflating tyres than the Blackburn too - and like others say the hose helps not damaging the valve. OK it's not as good as a Zefal HPX but it's good enough for 100psi without difficulty - certainly a lot better than the get you home mini pumps of a couple of years ago.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • antfly
    They don`t come in a large only medium and small.I think that`s called marketing,roadies don`t like large things.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    All the stockists I looked at had medium and large - not small. Maybe a different model ? I'm talking about the road drive mini pump here.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29719

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • antfly
    Ah, the road drive,that`s the exception.I`ve got one of them in the large but it`s too big for a pocket so you probably got the right size.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think the Topeak Turbo Morph is the most ergonomic and effective mini pump available - it is not very "mini" but it has an accurate gauge and will go up to 160psi in theory, but certainly enough for road tyre pressures. It works like a mini track pump. Lezyne have a similarly designed model which I would consider (more bling) but it is more expensive and not very available.
    topeak_morph_turbo_guage.jpg
  • giant_man
    alfablue wrote:
    I think the Topeak Turbo Morph is the most ergonomic and effective mini pump available - it is not very "mini" but it has an accurate gauge and will go up to 160psi in theory, but certainly enough for road tyre pressures. It works like a mini track pump. Lezyne have a similarly designed model which I would consider (more bling) but it is more expensive and not very available.
    topeak_morph_turbo_guage.jpg

This does appeal have to say. I am guessing it's a frame fit pump and not a 'in your back pocket' affair but I do like the format, thanks.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Yep, it's about 30cm long so not really back pocket. It has a bracket to fit behind bottle cage. I use a tiny Planet-X mini-pump/inflater for shorter rides (never had to use it yet - it may well be useless), but this is the weapon of choice if getting home from miles away with properly inflated tyres is a must, or for multi day tours.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    I've been looking at the Topeak Mini Morph Pump. It claims to pump up to 160psi and isn't much heavier than the Lezyne.

It does look like a good value pump.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Beware of those extravegant claims, they don't mean what you think. The max PSI rating is what the pump is capable of before it self destructs under pressure. Whether anyone smaller than Charles Atlas could get 160psi into a tyre with it in less than a week is another matter.
  • giant_man
    Yes of course I appreciate that Smokin Joe, and I do agree with you.
  • antfly
    Charles Atlas! You`re showing your age there.
  • djb1971
    Click on the link below if you want to see what a few lezyne pumps look like opened etc. I've also stuck a tape measure next to them :wink:
  • antfly
    That`s good.
    What`s the air drive like, I was thinking of getting one fot the mtb?
  • djb1971
    The air drive is fine but it takes a lot of wrist and arm action to fill a 2.3 tyre :oops:
    as mini pumps go they are the best I've tried so far but much prefer the ones with the flexible hose. The air drive is the cheapest they do and it will get you out of trouble. As for carrying in a pocket and performance the pressure drive is the best. It's fairly small and thin and gets a higher presure more quickly.

The road drive is the next best thing to a frame pump but it's not really pocket friendly and the one I've got is the medium. The large would make a good fram pump replacement and touring pump :wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I have a Topeak Road Morph which I really like. I once got it up to 130 PSI(or so said the gauge) but I really had to "lean" on it. It felt like the pump would either break or blow apart
    and a blood vessel in my head would burst if I tried any harder. I guess this is why I'm
    skeptical of mini pump claims

Dennis Noward