replacing front & rear wheels on road bike

bobpzero
bobpzero Posts: 1,431
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
there seems to be only stuff about how to take off and put on a rear wheel.
but what tools if any do i need? and about the cassette is it just a case of taking to off the old one and sliding it onto the new rear wheel hub.

Comments

• Ruari
    Ruari Posts: 217
    It's a bit more complicated than that... have a look at the workshop section in the forum for advice on removing/replacing cassettes.
    FCN 1
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited April 2009
    you need a chain whip to hold the cassette still while you undo the locknut. You can get a locknut tool and use an adjustable spanner (carefully) to turn it anticlockwise. Once the locknut is off, the cassette should just slide off the splines on the freehub body. Note carefully the position / number of any spacers.

Shimano and Sram cassettes will fit on a shimano freehub, campag ones won't (and vice versa)
  • As others have said have a look in the workshop forum or look online for techniques for removing a casette. If it's been on a while it's bound to be a bit stiff.

I recently changed the casette over on my rear wheel to a replacement (Shimano). What I did to make it a bit easier was to remove the whole casette bit by bit placing the rings on top of each other. So at the bottom of the pile was the smallest and so on, this at least made it easier knowing where spacers (if any) would go roughly.

Once you get the new wheel, slide the rings back on in reverse order. It's actually fairly easy as there are notches in the rings that will only let them go on in a certain position. The only real issue I had was putting the smallest ring back on as it didn't 'notch' back in.

However once this was done, I put it back on the bike and spun the wheel and was able to see that it was out of alignment. Took it back of, moved the ring around to where it was supposed to go and it was all done.

From start to finish it took about ten minutes for a noob like me. Mind you it was very easy to undo the locknut as it was a relatively new bike when I changed the wheels.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    thanks for the replys
    dad told me not to be buying tools so went off to the lbs and got it done.
  • gtitim
    gtitim Posts: 225
    I think thats probably the best option, they'll ensure the gears are properly adjusted as well.
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    I have a 18 speed racer and a singlespeed too.
    I'm looking to upgrade the wheels on the racer and put the old wheels on my singlespeed.
    Is this possible or would i need to adapt them to fit on the singlespeed ie freewheel,hub etc?