Cross bikes, opinions please

mtbhenry888
mtbhenry888 Posts: 287
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
So i want a do it all bike, a cross bike naturally as i would also like to do a bit of training with a mate off road.

I have several options and was wondering if anyone had any opinions of any of the bikes or if anyone who owns one could give thier opinions

options are

Surly crosscheck (custom build with tiagra and handbuilt deore/opensport wheel set, mainly Pro PLT finishing kit)
Specialized Tricross Comp
Ridley Crossbow Tiagra
Kona Jake
Bianchi d2 Axis
Pinicle expede 0.0
Planet x Kaffenback

budget is under £1000 I don't like carbon rear triangles etc. but forks are fine. all bikes must take a 32c with mud room

I like all the bikes esp. the surly but am worried about the weight!

any ideas, have I missed anything?

Thanks
Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173

any ideas, have I missed anything?

Thanks

Genesis Croix de fer
    Genesis Vapour
  • I was thinking exactly the same thing about 18 months ago. In the end I bought a Genesis Vapour because it seemed to have reasonably good components, it has very understated styling, which appealed, and fundamentally when I rode it I liked it. I also rode the Spesh Tricross Sport but for reasons I can't really articulate I just preferred the Vapour (could actually have been as arbitrary as the staff being less helpful in Evans where I tried the Spesh).

The Vapour has stood up pretty well, in over 2k miles I’ve had no probs though a friend who coincidentally also bought one had to replace the chainset which simply broke.

My only caveat is cross bikes are a compromise and are neither perfect for off road or on. I’ve ended up riding predominantly on the road, both to commute and for pleasure so ended up buying a second set of wheels with slicks, its easier to swap wheels than tyres, but, in truth, I have had the knobblies on probably only twice in the last year.

In my opinion though, the short answer to your question is in the first paragraph “when I rode it I liked it”. I probably would recommend a cross bike as a work horse but I’m currently hankering after a carbon/titanium beauty to go alongside it and that will never see so much as a puddle, never mind off road.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Just blow your budget and buy a Kuota Kross! Full-carbon loveliness. Picked a frame up last week and built it up over the weekend and took it for it's first shake-down ride last night. This is my third 'cross bike, so sort of know what to expect but it blew me away. The lack of weight, directness of the ride and the stable handling was awesome - I was blasting the fire roads well in excess of 40kph on the flat, hitting patches of sand and gravel and it never stepped out of line - this mechine is going to see some serious use! My only worry is a high-speed crash. I haven't weighed it, but with Ksyriums, TRP Cantis, FSA Carbon cranks and Chorus drivetrain it must be under 18lbs
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I've had several cross bikes as they are excelllent winter trainers, and also, as you say, you can go off road if you need. You missed the Trek X01 off your list, and also the Condor. I had a X01 and sold it as didnt like the geometry. I'd have thought the surly WAY too heavy. Current cross bikes include an 07 Jake (heavy simple and rugged frame) which I commuted on for 3 years and wore out the drivetrain and bottom bracket each year (tiagra is pretty rubbish). Now commuting on a single speed Major Jake, which I love (v light) and winter training on an 08 jake the snake which is great, but frame not quite as nice as the 07 easton frame. However, love the geometry and bike, and heartily recommend. You'll get a jake the snake for under 1k, but is has the same frame as the snake. Snake has better wheels too - well worth the extra. Wouldn't recommend the triple chainset or tiagra of thhe jake. You'll also have to replace the tyres as soon as you get it - all of them are rubbish on road (slow and puncture prone). I'd also recommend buying second hand... a friend just bought an 09 snake for under £600 on ebay (new).
  • sorry, in the middle of that - should read 'has the same frame as the jake'
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    I bought a Kinesis Crosslight 4T in November and absolutely love it!

The spec is pretty good with mostly Shimano 105 components and Truativ cranks. The finishing kit is unbranded but is functional. Wheels are better than I have found on other similar priced bikes. The only thing I replaced when I got it was the saddle and I do that on every bike.

I bought it to use in the winter and I am so happy with it I rode it on the Cheshire Cat sportive instead of my racing bike. Cant wait to try Cyclocross with it next winter :D
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Hi, I also have a genesis vapour. In general it's great. Niggles were@
    - Tyres supplied were shyte (Conti Speed kings). Very thin and puntured every time it rained once the knobbles had worn down. Unless you're planning on racing it, I'd try and get the shop to change these before you buy one.
    - Bar tape fell off - I think I had a friday afternoon job there, but the shop sorted that with no probs
    - If I don't pay attention to the brake setup, I get the fork judder. TBH it's not as bad as the Spesh tricross was by the sound of it, and I do have the largest frame (in 08 that was 58cm).
    - The seatpost wasn't long enough, but I think they've sorted that now as there's a bigger frame etc. in the 09 line up.

Other than that it's been fine, and great fun offroad (in a bridleway kind of offroad sense)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME the sizing and geometry of cross bikes is a bit more critical than for a road bike as it can have a profound impact on the rideability and stability of the bike - there are significant variations from one make to another so knowing your size is important.
    Generally, you want a size-down from your roadbike for extra clearance and standover on rough terrain.
    Some 'pure' cross bikes come without bottle cage bosses, rack and mudguard mounts, somewhat limited their abilities as 'all-rounders'.
    There is a 'black-art' to setting up cantilever brakes - welcome to the 'brotherhood'!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    My £0.02 worth..... I have a Kaffenback as my winter trainer and I love it. It's set up with 105 and Planet-X A57 wheels, which are pretty much bomb proof.

And I disagree with Monty. Setting up cantis isn't a "black art". It's dead easy...... as long as you remember to sacrifice a chicken to the gods before you start :wink:
  • mtbhenry888
    mtbhenry888 Posts: 287
    i'm pretty familiar with cantis from back in the day when MTB's came with them! thank god for discs!!!!

thanks for all the advice, I will be getting a cross bike with full gaurd/rack/bottle bosses, so i'm not looking at a 'proper' cross bike but i'll never race it, last time i ran in my shoes i nearly broke my ankles!
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • oldabe10
    oldabe10 Posts: 23
    Hav a look on classified i think somebodys selling a 2009 cross bike (Trek x0) for about £600