Forest of Dean Classic

londonlivvy
londonlivvy Posts: 644
This sportive looks fearsomely hilly - more so than the Etape Caledonia. Is it as bad as it looks? And what's the traffic like? I'm thinking of doing it but think it might be out of my league as the hillest sportive I've done so far was the Dunsfold Sportive in Sep last year (which I found very very hard work).

Also - I'm probably not supposed to put a commercial mention out but my aunt happens to rent out a cottagey thing v.nearby so if anyone's interested then please do PM me.

Comments

• Its hilly, trust me, and the count down of the hills as you approach each one just makes them all so much worse. As for traffic, last year, Symonds Yat was gridlocked with cars so you had to walk. Suited me fine, as i wasnt alone and could hide my shame!
    A good event though, food and drinks in a big tent at the start/finish.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Its hilly, trust me, and the count down of the hills as you approach each one just makes them all so much worse. As for traffic, last year, Symonds Yat was gridlocked with cars so you had to walk. Suited me fine, as i wasnt alone and could hide my shame!
    A good event though, food and drinks in a big tent at the start/finish.

And hilly it certainly is.

Everyone will say that the final climb up 'The Yat' is the worst, don't be fooled, the penultimate climb up Bull Hill is worse! In the unfortunate event that the hills become too much, remember that it is only a short distance back to the HQ.

It is well worth entering.
  • It just comes along a bit too soon in the season for me this year as I'm still working towards my first sportive using the recently published 100m training plan in C+.

I have heard from more experienced riders that it is a great day out and really well organised to boot. Hope to make it next year, good luck to you folks.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    And hilly it certainly is.

Everyone will say that the final climb up 'The Yat' is the worst, don't be fooled, the penultimate climb up Bull Hill is worse! In the unfortunate event that the hills become too much, remember that it is only a short distance back to the HQ.

It is well worth entering.

I seem to remember trackstanding at one point on Bull Hill last year and just managed to get going again to prevent toppling into the hedge.

Entered again this year though and hoping for better weather!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Was my first time climbing over 2000m in a day last year. Was tough, but enjoyable.
    Up and down all day long. No flats, no groups. Didn't have to walk, so gradients were ok.
    exercise.png
  • reppohkcor
    reppohkcor Posts: 111
    Get your triple rings out for this one guys :P
  • Brewsterwmb
    Brewsterwmb Posts: 145
    Not to mention the great scenery you will see (blur only) as you fly down the other side of the climbs...

What goes up must go down :D

Its a great kick start to the season for me - a real test
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    humn. Sounds quite hardcore.

Not sure I'm ready for that much hillage yet, but I like Brewster's remark that you get downs for your ups. I tend to forget that bit!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    The good thing the FoD is that you're never too far from the start/finish.
    It keeps looping back into the same place.
    exercise.png
  • Brewsterwmb
    Brewsterwmb Posts: 145
    ah come on londonlivvy Get out the city!!! :lol: I did 3 years ago and never went back!!
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • Getting back to your question as to whether you should do it - yes it is a great sportive but you will need to have a bit of hill climbing practice under your belt first. Perhaps before you enter, it may be worth going out for a longish ride over the Chilterns, incorporating as many hills as possible. If you feel okay, then enter. But as 'Stione' says, you are never too far from the finish.

Howie mentioned that traffic is busy around the Yat, which is true but overall the route follows relatively quite roads. A few busy roads around Coleford but overall it is not too bad and do not recall any horrendous conditions (apart from the weather!).
  • this is one of the bst events out there, you wouldn't regret doing it.
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • Oh yes, last year driving through the thunderstorms to get there, mmmmm.

Just get on yer bike and ride it, bloody hell i am 20 stone and i get around it.

Once the storms cleared, great day out, and the reward is a fantastic sweeping drop to the finish.

DO IT dont think about it!!
    Just a fat bloke on a bike