Advantages-Disadvantages offroad cycling shoes

James23
James23 Posts: 113
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi there

I was wondering how many cycle with good old trainers or cycling shoes and what the advantages or disadvantages where.

Also how much you are looking at for beginner pair with the pedals and what sort to get.

What i have been looking at are:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Adida ... 360022110/ -Shoes

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ritch ... 360033933/ -Pedals

Also do i need to get some
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shima ... 000000886/ - cleats

Or am i ok just with the shoes and pedals its all very confusing :? :? :? :?

Cheers James

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Trainers for me. Why, because i'm incompetent and would fall off more with SPD's

SPD's with pedals, you're looking £50-60 at the bottom end of the market.

go to Wiggle or Chain reaction for ideas.
  • i think trainers and some good flats wil be fine, i to scared falling off bike if i clipped in
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    Make the move to SPD, once you are used to them (guarenteed you'll fall a few times!) you wont look back.

Some friends i ride with havent tried them yet and i dont hink they will, but everyone i know who has spent a bit of time getting familiar with them have not looked back. All you need to remeber is to unclip when you stop - and believe me you will forget a couple of times! But after that you'll be fine.

The pros are better pedaling efficiency, more comfortable for spinning at higher cadences, foot wont slip off the pedal on rough terrain.
    Cons are if you do want to bail out in that last split second and put your foot down you probably wont be able to, also at low very low speed in very muddy conditions (as i experienced this winter) they can be a pain as you often need to put your foot down, and the cleat can get muddy and be difficult to put back in the pedal.

i suggest go for it - give a good few rides to get used to it and you will love. If you want to do a mud fest you still stick on your flatties and use your riding shoes.

Oh yeah and cleats come with the pedals (Shimano pedals anyway) so you would only need the shoes and the pedals.

I have these:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... s-ec005948

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/North ... 360028008/
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • James23
    Thanks for the reply's people

I must admit SPDs are looking good but quite exspensive nearly £100+ also a few bumps and bruises.... :lol:

Emailed Wiggles and i dont have to buy the cleats. The pedals & the shoes are fine also i know more questions. It does not matter what pedals you fit i mean there is not say certain pedals that fit only on certain bikes is there.

Cheers James
  • Gazzareth
    Gazzareth Posts: 17
    You can get shoes from Merlin for £45 and the pedals will only cost £25.... .... which is a lot better !!!!

Shoes:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=136
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=136
    Pedals:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=81

They used to do a deal on the pedals if you got the shoes from them making it even cheaper, although that seems to have vanished !!!

G
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Just an FYI, clipless pedals almost always come with cleats. The cleats will match the pedals as different brands of pedals usually require a different cleat (i.e. a Crank Brothers cleat is very different to a Shimano SPD cleat).

I'm still undecided on the use of clipless pedals, I can feel the advantage going up hill and my feet don't bounce of the pedals when the going gets rough. But, my low confidence means I unclip when I reach anything even slightly technical and this is really inefficient.
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    I've just made the switch to SPDs, Shimano 520 pedals and DHB shoes from Wiggle, REALLY impressed with them, immediately notice the efficiency difference, i already don't want to go back to flats.
    Pedals were £19.99 delivered from Merlin Cycles, shoes around £35 from Wiggle, can't fault the quality of either.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    James23 wrote:
    I was wondering how many cycle with good old trainers or cycling shoes and what the advantages or disadvantages where.

Trainers (running shoes) are an absolute no-no for cycling. They're way too flexible, meaning that they allow your foot to flex the wrong way over the pedal and you loose massive amounts of pedalling efficiency.

Skate shoes (along the lines of Etnies, DCs, Nike 6.0 and so on) on the other hand are just about perfect for use with flat pedals. They have a reasonably stiff sole (although still not as stiff as a proper cycling shoe but miles ahead of running shoes) and the tread is usually quite closely spaced and shallow. That means more rubber in contact with the pedal and therefore more grip, assuming you have decent sized pedal platform.

Clipless pedals (such as Shimano SPDs) are not for everyone - some people get on with them, others don't. Personally, I find it very difficult to ride any distance without them but then I've been using them for almost 20 years!

That said, a lot of people get it into their heads that they're going to fall off and/or get horribly maimed and/or killed if they use them before they've even tried. In which case the fights as good as lost before they've started.

You can also get shoes for clipless use which look like walking shoes or skate shoes - look at Shimano's and 661's ranges. Shimano even do SPD Jesus sandals!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • don't make the mistake i made by getting shimano cleat one side, flat the other. why, because you will spend too much time fannying to get the right side up. for example when i'm doing something technical like lee quarry black route or similar or stopping at lights, it really upsets the momentum when you have to unclip and then clip back in. i love clipless and will end up buying some more pedals or going back to my xc flatties as i have them already. hope that helps
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • I use a pair of £25 etnies to ride in. Uber hard and tacky sole so I haven't had a problem with slippage. They also look a lot better than most MTB shoes.

SPD's are love/hate for me. They are brilliant on climbs, but I hate them on decents.
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    I now use five.ten impact high for MTB, more grip than skate shoes (which I still use for BMX) and harder wearing.

All comes down to personal preference though.
  • MeddlE wrote:
    I now use five.ten impact high for MTB, more grip than skate shoes (which I still use for BMX) and harder wearing.

Aye, i was tempted by 5:10's... but the price and the "10 tonne brick" look to them put me off :(
    If they made them look a bit nicer i'd def have some :)
  • MeddlE
    I prefer the 'brick' look of the '08 (all black) to the new ones that have come out. It's that preference thing again, see. :wink:

18192.jpg

18198.jpg
  • urgh! the new ones are worse!!! :lol:
    I can imagine them to be very good when on a MTB tho :)
  • urgh! the new ones are worse!!! :lol:
    I can imagine them to be very good when on a MTB tho :)
  • I've always felt very wary of clipping in to pedals - the usual thing of falling off. I was given a tip on the weekend about getting 'multi release cleats'. Shimano do some.

They release whichever way you twist so may be suitable for beginners trying to get to grips with clipless pedals. They're compatable with a lot of Shimano pedals, depends on how much you want to spend!

I already have cycling shoes with cleat recesses so am checking out new pedals at the moment. I've also found that you can buy pedals that are flat AND have clips so you can decided to wear cleats or not.

If you don't want to go down that route yet get some skate shoes - firmer soles make a big difference to your cycling efficiency.
  • I wear a pair of cheap No Fear trainers I bought for £20 in some chav sports outlet. Seem to have plenty of grip and are comfy for long rides.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • James23
    Well i have just bought them and HOPEFULLY here before the bank holiday.....

so its brusies and knocks and scraps all weekend yhippeeeee :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: from me falling off.....
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    MeddlE wrote:

I was just looking at a pair of them online, but need to try a pair on to get the sizing right and can't find anywhere remotely close to me to try them out :(
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • MeddlE
    captainfly wrote:
    MeddlE wrote:

I was just looking at a pair of them online, but need to try a pair on to get the sizing right and can't find anywhere remotely close to me to try them out :(

I just ordered my normal size, they fit me perfectly. Certainly no size-lower/size-higher issues at all.
  • captainfly
    MeddlE wrote:
    captainfly wrote:
    MeddlE wrote:
    I just ordered my normal size, they fit me perfectly. Certainly no size-lower/size-higher issues at all.

Yeah there in lies the problem my usual size it exactly in the middle of 10 and 101/2, I usually have trouble with all footwear :roll: so it is is a case of trying on both and seeing which fit best.
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • MeddlE
    I'd let you try my size 10 but you're the other end of the country! :lol:
  • captainfly
    MeddlE wrote:
    I'd let you try my size 10 but you're the other end of the country! :lol:

Aw thanks :D

I think I might just order a 10 1/2 and if far too big return them but a couple of pairs of socks and ankle supports should make them fit fine, I hope :roll:
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

• depends on your riding but...

I wore trainers for ages until I got my new bike. Scared the **** out of me at first, but if you back the springs off for quick release, you soon get used to it. The fact you are clipped in can actually help resist putting a foot down and so up your handling skills in the process. I wouldn't swap back.

Martyn
  • You can get the Shimano PDM-520 pedals from Wolly Hat Shop for £20. I have a set on the commuter. I use Shimano M-085 shoes with them. I have to say though, the Shimano shoes do tend to be a bit narrow so it may be worth trying them on before buying.

As mentioned above, you can back off the tension on them until you get used to clipping/unclipping, not forgetting that being clipped in helps with climbing as you can pull up on the pedal instead of just having to mash away.

Not forgetting that there are also pedals such as the Shimano M545s (possibly a bit pricey in this case) which are basically flats that you clip in to,giving you the best of both worlds.
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    don't make the mistake i made by getting shimano cleat one side, flat the other. why, because you will spend too much time fannying to get the right side up. for example when i'm doing something technical like lee quarry black route or similar or stopping at lights, it really upsets the momentum when you have to unclip and then clip back in. i love clipless and will end up buying some more pedals or going back to my xc flatties as i have them already. hope that helps

I was just about to post the very same thing. I bought the one sided SPDs and changed them very quickly to fully clippless. Inevitably you would always find the peddle the wrong way up for what ever you wanted and it was a major pain in the bum.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    depends very much on your riding style....look at the difference between sam hill and steve peat....

hill on flats.....foot out often..drifts the bike through corners
    peaty on clipless....much neater looking more direct cornering.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    BenS999 wrote:
    The pros are better pedaling efficiency, more comfortable for spinning at higher cadences, foot wont slip off the pedal on rough terrain/

With spiky pedals and a sensible shoe, you're not likely to have this happen with flats either though, especially with decent footwork (if you let yourself get bounced, you'll lose pedals all the time but if you bounce with the bike you don't)

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I think clipless isn't the no-brainer it is for road-riders, because we don't tend to spin at close to the same speeds, and we're not generally looking for that perfect efficient leg action. I can't use clipless because of a bad knee injury, but I don't really feel my flats hold me back (they do occasionally rip the **** out of the back of my calf when I'm pushing the bike though! I forget there's a deadly steel shark back there waiting to bite...)
    Uncompromising extremist