RIm / Tyre opinions!

weepiglet
weepiglet Posts: 75
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
OK, so I have decided to go with teh Trek 1.9 as it was comfy, a goot fit and a hell of a good deal at £1000.

However, another debacle I have is the rims and tyres as I have received mixed reports about the standard Bontrager rims and Bontrager race lite tyres. I have been trying to read around them but can't seem to get any decent opinions on either and as they are on the bike I don't want to be making a mistake.

Is it worth asking the shop to change them for me or is it likely that they wouldn't with a stock bike but if they do what should I be asking for bearing in mind I don't want to be spending another £400+?

Road wise, I will be travelling on mainy A and B roads, not full of pot holes but not an F! circuit either! I plan to be putting in about 15-20 miles 3 days a week and around 75 at weekends.

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Take the bike as it is. A shop won't be keen to break a stock bike, and isn't likely to do you a very good exchange deal if you demand changes.

You can read too much on the net. Wheels and tyres are for general use by design. I have used the same ordinary bike wheels with inch wide slicks for racing, time trialling, short rides, long rides, touring, off-road excursions, etc. Enjoy your new bike!
  • weepiglet
    weepiglet Posts: 75
    Cheers mate, that's what I was hoping for. :D

At least now I know that the rims and tyres provided are suffice as I'm not going to be horsing it down any big hills or going for the land speed record!! :lol:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd stick with the ones it comes with. I can't imagine they'd put rubbish on a £1k bike. If / when you wear out the tyres you're only talking about £50 for a new pair. The wheels will likely last several years unless you start riding it off-road or clocking up professional mileage.
  • NaB
    NaB Posts: 105
    As has been said worry not! Just get out there and enjoy riding your new bike! If you subsequently have any problems...and the shop is decent...I'm sure they'll help you put anything right.