Lotus cars cycle race league

markos1963
markos1963 Posts: 3,724
edited May 2009 in Amateur race
I was looking at the web site for this and I noticed they are doing a Go Race option for beginners. I am keen to have a go so I was wondering what is involved in doing this ie costs, licenses, kit etc
I noticed some of my club members do this league but as I don't get to too many runs I don't get the opportunity to ask anyone.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    For Go Race, it's just the entry fee. You don't need a licence. The only mandatory piece of kit is a helmet.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Hi Mark,

I'll hopefully be doing some of these races over the next couple of months.
    Unfortunately, I can't do tomorrow night.
    I was told that to enter as 4 cat, I needed a silver BC membership, which includes a provisional race licence.
    I've never raced before, but fancy a go at it as a Cat 4, veteran, too.
    Let me know how your first one goes. I'm busy with work until the race on 2nd June.

I take it you know you have to register ahead of time, for security reasons!

Paul
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Bronzie
    hopper1 wrote:
    I was told that to enter as 4 cat, I needed a silver BC membership, which includes a provisional race licence.
    For "Go Race" events only, you don't need to be a BC member or have a racing licence. From the BC rulebook:
    6.3.1.6 Go Race – open to 4th category riders, British
    Cycling members without racing licences and nonmembers.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Sorry Bronzie, I wasn't inferring that a licence was needed for 'Go Race', only that I was entering as a 4th Cat, and was advised to get a provisional licence.
    Hopefully, it'll be an enjoyable experience, and I'll keep at it!

God only knows why I'm doing it.... I guess I should really know better at my age!

Paul
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Bronzie
    No problem, just wanted to clarify that "Go Race" events are supposed to be beginner friendly hence no need to buy an expensive licence. BC Silver membership (£35) is well worth it for the 3rd party liability insurance it offers anyway IMO.

FWIW I didnt get into racing into my late 30s - wish I'd made the leap earlier! If you are over 40, the LVRC races are not only cheaper to enter, but the racing tends to be a little steadier and safer - that's not to say that all vets races are slow though!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Hope to give it a go later in the month when I have some time off work. The fact I don't need a license is good but if the bug gets me i'll go 4th cat as BC membership works out cheaper than my current insurance provider.
  • BMX Bear
    BMX Bear Posts: 198
    I fancy a crack at the GoRide as well, only 30mins, sounds good to me!
    www.icenivelo.co.uk - Norfolks most inclusive cycling club