Mountain Bikes up to £350. I need help.

05mpwright
05mpwright Posts: 6
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I am 15 years old and I am looking for my first proper mountain bike. I am looking at hardtails and my maximum spend is £350.

Does anyone have any ideas of what bikes I should look at? I would like it to have front and rear disc brakes and to be as light as possible.

Cheers,

Phil

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    2nd hand Carrera Fury, Specialized HArdrock sport etc etc.

All will be way under your budget and leave you a few quid for bits/upgrades etc.
  • cheers for your help, i am loking at the Felt Q520 and a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc.
    Has anyone ridden these?

Phil
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Also check the What Hardtail guide in the buying section.
  • My brother has the hardrock sport. It is exactly the same but without the discs. Hamdles well and is good spec for the money but the fork will definately
    need upgrading at some point if you use it offroad frequently.
  • weeksy59
    05mpwright wrote:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc.
    Has anyone ridden these?

Phil

I own one having bought on Ebay for £200 which was to replace my stolen £1000 Cube LTD.

For me, it wipes the floor with the Cube in every department apart from the Fork lockout.
  • weeksy59, is that the 2009 model?

Phil
  • weeksy59
    05mpwright wrote:
    weeksy59, is that the 2009 model?

Phil

Yup that's the fella. 09 Hardrock Sport disc.

I have upgraded the rear to a Hope Hydraulic as i was getting fade over at Swinley on some of the hard downhills.

I truely love the bike though.
  • was it new when you bought it?

You got a good deal if it was.

Phil
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Someone on here was saying that they got a Carrera Fury for £320 a couple of weeks ago, I'm not sure what the deal was with that (the website says £400, which is already stupidly cheap) But if you can find that price, it's a clear winner. It's a longer travel, burlier bike than most at this price point, so it's a bit weighty for light XC, but it's still lighter than a lot of entry level bikes purely because of the higher spec. More trail/all mountain. than a Hardrock but also, simply better tbh.

The Carrera Kraken is usually their contender at this price, it's good too but it doesn't make a lot of sense if the fury is this cheap.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weeksy59
    05mpwright wrote:
    was it new when you bought it?

You got a good deal if it was.

Phil

6 weeks old, used 3 times (and you could tell) by a 13 year old to go to the shops LOL.

Was basically a brand new bike.
  • does anyone know the weight of the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc?

Phil