where to start?

stickygreen
stickygreen Posts: 339
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi guys i'm sure you've answered the same questions a couple of thousand times but i want to get into this and dont have a clue where to start,been looking at second hand cos of a small budget (£300) was watching a saracen raw on ebay but after reading on here thats a bad move.so what makes are good and in my budget and what should i stay away from also ht or fs?
cheers guys.
GENESIS CORE 20

Comments

• You should have a check around the other posts, this is being asked alot now the summers coming!

For that price you should be looking at a Hardtail, imo. Something like: (for example) [search other sites for better prices/in stock models.]
    cannodale F6
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/f6-mountain-bike-ec000098
    GT Avalanche 3.0 disc (or v-brake is cheaper)
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/avalanche-30-disc-2009-mountain-bike-ec016368

Also Specialized Hardrock seems good for the price, maybe even look at GT agressor xc3 or Carrera Vulcan from Halfords. Although i personally wouldn't buy from Halfords. Look at the 'what hardtail thread' in buying advice aswell.
    2009 - Giant Trance X3

2011 - Focus Black Forest XT
  • stickygreen
    stickygreen Posts: 339
    thanks for the reply i wont be buying from halfords ever again and i will take your suggestions into account i have also been looking at mogoose are they any good, in particular a 2yr old thunderball with afew extras.
    GENESIS CORE 20
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    You should obviously get a higher specced bike for your money buying 2nd hand, but it's a bit of a risk unless you know what you're doing. If you can buy from someone you know it would help. Personally I'd say get yourself a new hardtail (there's some decent stuff at that price) and have the piece of mind of a warranty and hopefully a free 6 week tune up from your LBS.

Most importantly - ride before you buy and pick a bike that feels right for you.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I went to Evans when i bought my first proper mtb and they price matched an internet price for me and gave me £15 free stuff. I think it was a drinks bottle, puncture repair kit and spare tube.
    Id say its worth getting a new bike (and haggling) and then as Llamafarmer said, you should get a free service after 6 weeks.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time