Top tube length compared to road bike

Slow Downcp
Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Having ridden road bikes for 20 years, I'm fairly happy that the set up is okay. Now looking for a hardtail and, knowing that top tube length is more important than seat tube, wondered if anyone else on here road cycles also and if so how does the top tube length on your road bike compare to that of your MTB?

I'd rather go to try out armed with this advice, than a shop assistant judge the size I need by my height/inside leg.
Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Oh dear me. :wink:

TBH dont worry.

Also what type of MTB are you looking at?
    HT or a fully for XC or AM use?

and racing or fun?

it is not as black and white as a road bike.

what is you top tube "length" on the road bike? (horizontal center to center) and i will see what type of length you could start looking at.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Slow Downcp
    nicklouse
    Looking for a hardtail XC bike, just leisure riding on trails and singletrack, nothing too technical (to start with at least).

Road bikes - one has 56cm top tube, the other 55cm, both 11cm stems. I'm 5'11" with inside leg of 32.5" if that helps.

And advice gratefully received.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • nicklouse
    picks up tape measure.

:evil:

:wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    just had a quick measure. on mine.

MTB about a 1 or 2 cm longer on the frame and 1 cm shorter on the stem.

will give a starting point. but it will feel odd being sat "upright" compared to the road bike.

but there are one or two there things to consider.

test test test.

have fun and if you are not sure walk away. (and smaller is better for stand over issues)

Topic Bars.
  • Slow Downcp
    Thanks - I did try out a large Boardman for size and it felt as though the reach wasn't long enough but the frame looked too big (i.e. only about 4-5" of post showing). Guess it's just I need to allow for the different riding position.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    wondered how does the top tube length on your road bike compare to that of your MTB?
    My MTBing is mostly like road cycling 'off road' if that makes sense - long days in the hills, fireroads, doubletrack, both wheels firmly on the ground at all times etc. The top tubes on my long-haul MTBs are the pretty much the same as my road bike. I have a smaller MTB for knocking about on but although it is far more nimble and agile than the bigger bikes, it's uncomfortable on longer rides.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Between 17 and 19 inch depending on design, manufacturer and inclination. Or there abouts!! :wink:

If its any help, (and its not) I have a 17.5 inch Felt an 18 inch GT and a 56cm BeOne, they all fit, I'm 6'1 with 34" inside leg, my Felt does have a crazy long seatpost though.
  • godin
    godin Posts: 17
    Thanks - I did try out a large Boardman for size and it felt as though the reach wasn't long enough but the frame looked too big (i.e. only about 4-5" of post showing). Guess it's just I need to allow for the different riding position.

If it is any help, I am 5'8 with a 32" inside leg. I ride a medium boardman with a 75 mm stem and a flat bar to compensate for my relatively short torso. My seat post has 200mm (8"3/4) showing (seat clamp to saddle rail).

Remember that you want to be able to slip behind the saddle for steep descents.

/Jonas