First ride- nothing fancy, but great!

Bubgum
Bubgum Posts: 20
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Hey all, I went on my first propper 'ride' just a few minutes ago, and it was great! :D I don't have a fancy bike (Some kind of hard tail apollo that cost about 150 pounds :P) or equipment (I'll be honest, I went out wearing some converses, jeans, and a cotton sweater thing. I took a little pump in my back pocket too.) but it was still very enjoyable. It's quite an easy trail, mostly a wide gravel path with a few detours that go over rough\rocky terrain, but nothing drastic, but it's litteraly right behind my house, so I can't complain much. :lol: Anyway, I just came in to say hi, and share my enthusiasm for this great sport!

Thanks, bye! :D

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hello :D

Sounds good! Where are you riding?

It's definitely worth getting the right kit, most importantly a helmet, and the right clothes make it a lot more comfy!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Bubgum
    Hey! Thanks for the reply, I'm riding in Hampshire, too. :D

What type of stuff should I wear? I'm very self consious, so I don't really want anything that draws lots of attention. And I hate those tight shorts. :P
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Are you a bloke or a girl (can't tell from your post!)?

Either way, I would definitely get a helmet, gloves and padded shorts. Everything else you can get as and when you need it but they are essential! And you can wear baggy shorts over the tight padded ones, so you don't have to wear head to toe lycra :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    sarah75 wrote:
    Either way, I would definitely get a helmet, gloves and padded shorts. Everything else you can get as and when you need it but they are essential!

I don't think the shorts are essential. Probably luck of the physical draw but I've recently returned to cycling and so far covered about 300 miles (mostly on rides less than 15 miles to be fair but that is fine enough in the Dales for a beginner) and I usually wear a pair of old Ron Hills - those and a SDG Bel Air RL saddle haven't caused me any problems at all so I haven't felt the need to much around with cycling shorts, padded or otherwise.

You can work out from personal experience what kit would improve the experience for you.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    i have never once worn padded shorts. i wear the same cloths on my mtb as i do on my bmx. actually, I wear the same clothes i wear day to day, only theyre a bit raggedy assed. the only thing i would say is dont wear jeans. theyre too heavy and restrictive, they take forever to dry out if it rains and the seams will cause unpleasant rashes between your thighs. as opposed tp pleasant rashes.
  • Bubgum
    sarah75 wrote:
    Are you a bloke or a girl (can't tell from your post!)?

Either way, I would definitely get a helmet, gloves and padded shorts. Everything else you can get as and when you need it but they are essential! And you can wear baggy shorts over the tight padded ones, so you don't have to wear head to toe lycra :D

I'm a bloke. And I think I'll just get a nicely padded saddle, like Rolf said. :)

By the way, I just degreased my chain and freewheel (Boy, it was greasy. O.O) and I've found out that there are a=some patches of rust in places. Nothing severe; it runs quite smoothly. Is this somehting I should worry about? (Sorry for all the questions, by the way. :lol: )