Hello

Sgt_Pepper
Sgt_Pepper Posts: 172
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
After nearly 10 years of not riding a bike I’ve decided to take the plunge and buy a new one.
My search for a good forum to ask for advice has brought me here.
So I say hello to all. :D

I'm liking the look of the Trek 4500 (2009) , but will probly need to ask a few questions before i make my final decision on what to buy.

Comments

• Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    well, ask them.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hi and welcome to BR.

The Trek is a nice entry level XC bike - have you tried it out?
  • Sgt_Pepper
    well, ask them.

My main problem is i don't know anything about mountain bikes at all. I did have a mountain bike about 10 years ago but it was some cheap Claud Butler thing from the catalouge. I was more into BMX back then, and i gave up on that after having a bad fall.

So i basicly have a price i'm willing to pay, no more than £500. And the nearest good Bike shop to me is 20miles away EvansCycles. I'm trying to narrow down the bikes i like before i drive down.

Theres a few bikes on the site i like the look of but am unsure if the spec is any good or not.

Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc 2009
    Trek 4500
    Felt q620
    Bianchi Doss 5100
    Genesis Core 10

Also is there anything i'd need to know or ask when i visit the shop, I dont want to end up buying something i later regret.
    supersonic wrote:

The Trek is a nice entry level XC bike - have you tried it out?
    Not yet, hopefully i can try a few of the bikes out i like , if i can remember how to pedal :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Let them know what sort of terrain you will be riding, how long the rides will be - anything that you think is relevant really! Let us know too.

If yopu plan to hit much rougher stuff, you may need a burlier bike - if just genteel strolls down the riverside, maybe something lighter than the Trek would suffice.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    The genesis has a good frame that will be worth upgrading in the future, making it my pick of the bunch.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    HI Sgt,can you stretch to £560?Pauls Cycles are doing the Giant Yukon FX1 for that price,reduced from £900 (which is what everyone else sell them at ) and Bikeradar gave it 4 stars at the full price.Got one last week to replace my cube acid hard tail.It's brilliant, comfy to ride and goes uphill a lot easier for me probably due to being a better riding position overall.Alright it comes boxed but you only have to fix the bars and saddle on using an alan key and some pedals which you have to buy yourself (or get delivered with the bike) Setting up the rear shock for you body weigth is easy with the supplied air pump.Spec is better all round compared to many of the bikes you have listed and only a couple of pounds in weight which you'll hardly notice.They even do it on 12 months interest free credit if you want it which you apply for online.MIne was delivered in 3 days from ordering and credit check.i don't think you 'll be dissapointed it really is a steal at the price.
  • This really is a great forum, you would get it to be very nice and great use
  • Sgt_Pepper
    janwal wrote:
    HI Sgt,can you stretch to £560?Pauls Cycles are doing the Giant Yukon FX1 for that price,reduced from £900.

That looks like a nice bike, Not sure if i'll like full Suspension tho.I'm gonna go to the bike shop tomorrow straight from work, so i'll have a look at some full Sus bikes and if i like the feel of them, i'll defo consider it.
  • Sgt_Pepper
    Well today i took delivery of my new bike, Genesis Core 10. As soon as i sat on it and rode it in the street something sprung to mind, the tires.(Cont Mountain King) they didn't seem too bad when i test rode it. but they're just not for me.

I'm looking at ordering some Cont Town and Country, or some Double Fighter II, but am unsure about what inertubes to buy.

Are these tires good for general road and dirt track use, or are there better options, i'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction for good tires and tubes. Thanks.

EDIT: Also do i get Folding or Wire