New MTB - Full suspension or front suspension?

hughesb
hughesb Posts: 11
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Hello,

I am buying a new bike and am unsure whether to buy a full suspension bike or just a front suspension bike. i will be using the bike for riding along dirt trails and on hills with slightly rocky terriain.

Any suggestions onwhat type of bike to get would be aprreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    depends on how much you have to spend and where you live
  • hughesb
    i only have about £300 to spend as this is one of my first bikes. I live near Birmingham and only really use my bike on dirt trails.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    hughesb wrote:
    Hello,

I am buying a new bike and am unsure whether to buy a full suspension bike or just a front suspension bike. i will be using the bike for riding along dirt trails and on hills with slightly rocky terriain.

Any suggestions onwhat type of bike to get would be aprreciated. Thanks :)

As it's your first post, a friendly nudge...

Try using the forum search facility or have a look what others have posted - someone else has posted the exact same thread not 24 hours ago.

You aren't to know obviously, but this is one of the most frequently asked questions and it causes all sorts of ructions.

Oh, and like Judas Iscariot said - don't believe everything Jesus tells you... :shock:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Banned!
    if you only have £300 to spend and you want new, then get a new hardtail ,or, if youre ok with used get a 2nd hand susser.

you wont get much of a susser for £300 new, but you can get a decent bike for that in the used market.

same goes for ht. in fact, you can get a much better HT for £300 2nd hand.
  • Banned!
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... UKON_FX_3_

if thats still available then get one before they disappear. thats an incredible bargain.
  • hughesb
    I am looking at the Saracen mantra DX 09 which is £279.99 from Halfords. Could anyone tell me if this is a good bike ? Thanks
  • Banned!
    no, it isnt. saracens are horrible bikes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What, all of them? Some are very very good.

Mantra does lean towards the harder riding side of the equation, and has the weight to back that up. Still, the 550 quid version was a test winner last year.

Does seem overkill for what you suggest though.
  • hughesb
    i am now edging towards the Giant Yukon Fx 3 as the price seems very good. Just wondering if anyone has any views on this bike ? Is it a decent bike?

Thanks
  • Banned!
    yes, it is a very good bike. not just for the money either, its a got a smooth and well balanced ride and an aggressive geometry. its good for long distance rides and bombing about the woods for a few hours too.
  • hughesb
    Just ordered my Giant Yukon Fx3 :D should be here in a couple of days.
    Thanks Jesus
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    hughesb wrote:
    Just ordered my Giant Yukon Fx3 :D should be here in a couple of days.
    Thanks Jesus

Have you got it yet, Wots it like.

Dirt cheap that may get one meself :D
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • hughesb
    No. :( . its being delivered tomorrow, Ive had to wait a while because of the bank holiday.
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    hughesb

It will be worth the wait - hell of a bargain, enjoy your new ride when it arrives !
  • hughesb
    Hi,

I got my new yukon fx3 yesterday and have took it out for a short ride today but i have noticed that the disc brakes seem to be rubbing and occassionaly make a squealing noise, is this normal or do i need to adjust them??

Thanks
  • Make sure the wheels are on straight then just loosen the bolts holding the calliper on and squeeze the brake and tighten the bolts back up while still pressed (easier with 2 people).
  • thedirge
    thedirge Posts: 181
    bump for post and i'm waiting for my yukon to be delivered
    Consequences.... are just a harmless by-product of having a good time, all the time.

Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.