Saddle advice.

Si C
Si C Posts: 130
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
I can't seem to find a saddle that will let me get past 45 miles without severe butt ache.

Specialized Toupe - like sitting on a piece of MDF
Fiz zik Aliante Carbon - better, but still butt pain after about 35 miles
Selle Italia Prolink - tried an old one that was loaned to me today...still not great.

Any advice, or am I just unlucky!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Have you got your setback right? Are you sitting on the right part of the saddle?

I cycled for years with a numb bum because I had a bit of setback on the saddle, changing to a non setback post means I can ride all day with no issues.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    I think you did well to get 45 miles on an Arione. I find Selle Italia Flite Max really comfy for long distances but I guess that saddles are a personal thing depending on the width of your sit bone, riding position and style.
  • Si C
    Si C Posts: 130
    Have you got your setback right? Are you sitting on the right part of the saddle?

I cycled for years with a numb bum because I had a bit of setback on the saddle, changing to a non setback post means I can ride all day with no issues.

I did change the post to a non-setback some months ago. Made no difference to me.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Have you tried something like: Bioflex Sport?

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/49 ... addle.html

Comfy and wide enough without being "silly padded" - might be able to get one for £12 on Ebay - cheap enough to try out (without feeling you've spent money), and resell if you don't like - nothing lost.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You should try a Charge Spoon. £20 or less. Search the forums for others recommending it. Pretty Light and I'd describe it in the same way as Mettan describes the bioflex : Comfy and wide enough without being "silly padded"

I just replaced my Filante with a Spoon and the improvement is immense
  • At the end of the day, it will be down to personal preference.

For what it's worth, I changed my MTB saddle for a Charge Spoon (grass is always greener and all that) and didn't like it (after 30 miles or so a RPITA), so put my original back on, and no problems!

And on my Road bike, the Selle San Marco gel proved no better (40 miles and !!).

So fitted the same saddle as I have on my MTB to my road bike, and I can ride all day, no problem.

For me, I think I've found my perfect saddle and my problem was solved for less than £20

WTB Speed V.......

Suits me Sir!
    Live every day like it\'s your last, cos one day.......your gonna be right!
  • NaB
    NaB Posts: 105
    San Marco Concor can be had for £20 if you get an older version...without doubt my favourite saddle.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Si C wrote:
    I can't seem to find a saddle that will let me get past 45 miles without severe butt ache.

Specialized Toupe - like sitting on a piece of MDF
    Fiz zik Aliante Carbon - better, but still butt pain after about 35 miles
    Selle Italia Prolink - tried an old one that was loaned to me today...still not great.

Any advice, or am I just unlucky!

you may have to think differently. All the above saddles are 'shell' saddles ie padding over a carbon/plastic shell and they work 'fine' for most people. But why not try a Selle Anatomica Titanico from www.mcmwin.com It's similar to a Brooks (but better) in that it's a frame with leather stretched over it. this acts in the manner of a hammock. You really have to try one (or look at the vid on the site). i normally use Pro-link trans-Ams but have a Titanico on my fixed. I'd prob. have to spend £500 to change all the saddles on my bikes
    M.Rushton