Assos Uno Bib Shorts

doyler78
doyler78 Posts: 1,951
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
Bought a pair of these from a LBS on Friday.

Was out Saturday and Sunday on them and they are absolutely awful. Saturday wore no chamois cream however for my longer ride on Sunday - 3hr50m - I decided cream was the way to go given Saturday ride was a bit unpleasant. Anyway my boney bit between my a$$ and my b@lls (how else can I put it) feels red raw. My boxers keep catching on it today and it makes for very uncomfortable walking.

These are the worst shorts I have ever worn. How come?

Do you have to wear shorts in?

They fit me perfectly or at least they seem to.

I currently wear 2 year old Endura shorts which left me a bit numb and bit sore in the same area however nowhere near as bad. They are getting to the end of their life so was looking to trade up. Have I made an expensive mistake?

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Did you wash them before wearing them, and did you wash them between rides?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've got a pair of the Old Uno shorts and the new S5 Uno shorts, and they are brilliant. I wore my S5 shorts for 5 hours yesterday and I had no issues.

C+ rated them as a best buy in the last mag and having had the new ones for a couple of months now I'd agree with them they are the best you can buy for the money.

Sounds like a Saddle issue rather than a shorts issue....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I found them by far the most comfortable shorts I've ever tried. Shame they got cut off me in hospital :(

Maybe it's like with saddles, one man's cloud of loveliness is another man's ass hatchet...
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    The most comfortable shorts I've ever worn.
    Are you sure the fit is right?
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I have 3 pairs. And one Mille. And I feel "slummy" when I wear my Giordanas. ;)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • doyler78
    Yeah fit is definitely right. Nice and comfy to stand about in.

I just noticed reddraggon's reply on another thread re: layback seatposts and someone else had actully suggested I change from a layback post to an inline one as I was complaining about numb ass before. They recommended a syntace p6 however I couldn't find it anywhere and when I looked around most seatposts on most bikes now seem to be laybacks so I never bothered. This has me wondering again.

Any recommendations for an inline carbon seatpost as I can't get the one that was recommended to me?
  • doyler78
    I seem to be getting the consensus view here which I had read about again and again and which prompted me to buy them in the first place though the fact that there is more discomfort than with my regular Endura shorts does somewhat strange to me if it is all saddle related.
  • redddraggon
    doyler78 wrote:
    Any recommendations for an inline carbon seatpost as I can't get the one that was recommended to me?

What's your budget? If you are desperate for carbon, there's the 3T Doric seatpost.

But IME carbon doesn't make that much difference to a seatpost, the Alloy Thompson seatposts are really good.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • doyler78
    doyler78 wrote:

What's your budget? If you are desperate for carbon, there's the 3T Doric seatpost.

But IME carbon doesn't make that much difference to a seatpost, the Alloy Thompson seatposts are really good.

Was recommended one of those too but as it was alloy I immediately dismissed it. My problem is that every bike I have ever had since I started cycling 5 years ago has come with a carbon seatpost so I just have it my head that it must be pretty important. It was even on my old flat bar road bike in a alu frame.

As regards budget I have a £99 Wiggle voucher to use though was going to put it towards some Giro Havik's.

Will start a new thread re: carbon versus alloy seatposts just to see what the great masses on here think.
  • redddraggon
    doyler78 wrote:
    Will start a new thread re: carbon versus alloy seatposts just to see what the great masses on here think.

I wouldn't necessarily go with what the "masses" think though.

BTW, Garmin are currently running unbadged (setback) Thompson posts until the 3T setback posts are ready, so they can't be all that bad.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have a straight thomson post on my MTB - highly recommended!