Tackling 1st proper climb - Whinlatter Pass

Vitessetortoise
Vitessetortoise Posts: 53
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Hello all, I’m a bit of a newbie here (lurker) and looking for your opinion on tackling my first proper climb.

I ride 70-100 miles a week as a London commuter but I’ll be in the Lakes next week, just down the road from the Whinlatter pass, so thought I’d have a crack at it.

Question is, my little pipe cleaner legs haven’t seen hills like this before so should I;

a) Go for a pint instead and come back next year better prepared?
b) Remain naïve and just blindly have a go, I could always walk?
c) MTFU, grit my teeth and vow to conquer it inch by inch regardless?

Seriously though, is it really that bad? I'm thinking about driving over it first so I can see what I have ahead of me, though that could be a bad thing.

I’ve sort of promised myself that if I can do some ‘proper’ rides in the lakes I’ll then deserve a shiny new road bike, possibly carbon, certainly expensive.

Opinions or experiences much appreciated

Cheers

VT

Comments

• Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Give it a go, it isn't one of the steeper passes in the Lakes and let's face it if you do blow up you can always turn around and freewheel most of the way back!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Its a nice climb, quite long but not too steep. Few changes in gradient to keep it interesting. If you're in the area, have a drive up Honister or Hardknott - those are the ones to really fear!
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    I'd say option (c) - I've no doubt that if you're determined to do it you will. It is definitely one of the easier big climbs in Lakeland - these things are obviously all relative but with the amount of mileage you're doing I reckon you'll be ok. There's no really long steep stretches - as I remember pretty much the steepest bit is as you go round a left hand bend, not long after passing a house on your right - don't despair at this point as it levels out straight after!

It is a pretty good climb but the summit is not at all inspiring - just a flattish bit of road, a car park and trees. If having reached the top you wonder why you were so worried about it, you could carry on down along to Buttermere village* and go back over Newlands pass, which is more difficult but has some brilliant views. If you're feeling really good you could go right to the head of Buttermere valley and over Honister pass, which is a stinker of a climb, but you'll be rewarded with a fantastic easy ride home along the Borrowdale Valley.

Whatever you do, enjoy it, and good luck!

*I assume you're going at Whinlatter from the Braithwaite side - if you're doing it from Lorton the routes I've described are just as good (and difficult!).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Definitely C!

Enjoy it too, my best ever ride was in the Lakes last year. Stunning scenery, fantastic climbs and even better descents!
  • Cheers for the comments, really helpful and encouraging.

I will be coming from Braithwaite so the idea of going on to Newlands is a great one, providing I haven't had a nervous breakdown half way up Whinlatter of course. That said, the double chevrons on the OS map as you head out of Buttermere look a bit :shock:
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I tackle serious hills with a mix of (b) and (c). Head out with a "how hard can it be" attitude, hey I can always get off and walk, then when the time comes, engage bottom gear and grit teeth, sweat lots and make some involuntary noises :D
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    Having driven over most of the Lakes passes over the years, I have never actually cycled any of them. Whinlatter (amongst others) will be tackled this weekend on the Lakeland Loop Sportive.

Whinlatter is one of those that I'm not too worried about as it looks fairly straight forward. Hardknott & Wrynose are another matter and I'm cacking myself at the prospect.

As others have said, low gear, head down and keep those pedals turning.

BTW, being a supporter, I like the avatar - Tranmere Superlambanana
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • Good luck on the lakeland loop, that seems like a marathon to me, maybe next year, he says unconvincingly.

Good to know the rovers are represented on these boards too! What with your username you're not the bloke inside Rover the dog are you? I always thought that was Mungy.
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    Ha Ha. No, I'm not Rover the Dog. And a bit too old to be one of the Prenton Pups.

After the Lakeland Loop, at least I can have a sit down at the match on Monday. Here's hoping for another 3 points.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • gtitim
    gtitim Posts: 225
    Just think of the shiny new bike and give it a go. Whats the worst that could happen?
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    I ride 70-100 miles a week as a London commuter but I’ll be in the Lakes next week, just down the road from the Whinlatter pass, so thought I’d have a crack at it.

Question is, my little pipe cleaner legs haven’t seen hills like this before so should I;

/quote]

If you have experience of Richmond Park it may help to compare Wh Pass with one lap of RP. The Pass packs in 264m ascent in 9.9k distance; one lap RP 109m in 11k.

From Braithwaite there is a 20% pitch within 2k of the start. The first 1.3k requires120m of climb. Stats from Bikehike.co.uk.

Not a doodle in my opinion! Good luck.
    vintage newbie, spinning away