using a turbo trainer - why so complicated?

cakewalk
cakewalk Posts: 220
Had one a while. used it a bit. What seems to put me off is just how complicated everyone seems to make. For example go at look at the sessions on the tacx website. Too much to work out and think about (RPM, gear and resistance changing every few minutes).

Now - what's wrong (for endurance training) is something like this (requires a HRM)?

10 minute warm up (keep it below 70%)
20 minute at 75%
20 minute at 80%
10 minute at 85%
10 minute cool down

(or what ever variation ...)
"I thought of it while riding my bicycle."

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    At least making it complicated alleviates some of the horrendous boredom!
  • cakewalk
    NapoleonD wrote:

Point taken. However I've discovered that the Archers followed by Front Row on radio 4 seems to get me through the worst if it.
  • RPM, gear and resistance changing every few minutes).
    just like riding on the road then? ;)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,770
    cakewalk wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Point taken. However I've discovered that the Archers followed by Front Row on radio 4 seems to get me through the worst if it.

You really love the boredom, don't you?
  • cakewalk
    cakewalk wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

You really love the boredom, don't you?

Front Row makes the TT seem interesting.
  • le_grimpeur
    le_grimpeur Posts: 135
    cakewalk wrote:

Now - what's wrong (for endurance training) is something like this (requires a HRM)?

If you want to measure what you are doing, and thus to perhaps measure improvement, is to take a measure that works for you. HRM just makes me glaze over. i never bothered with watts before, but the turbo I have is bothered, and that's what I use for measuring my sessions, occasionally I try to beat 40k for one hour in the highest gear and second lowest setting.

So, make yours less complicated!
    The ultimate cruelty of love's pinions
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    cakewalk wrote:
    Had one a while. used it a bit. What seems to put me off is just how complicated everyone seems to make. For example go at look at the sessions on the tacx website. Too much to work out and think about (RPM, gear and resistance changing every few minutes).

20 minute at 75%
    20 minute at 80%
    10 minute at 85%
    10 minute cool down

It's only complicated if you want to make it complicated. For endurance training 1x60min and 2x20min are the staple diet with the main bits just at a constant effort and cadence.

I do these by power at various % of FTP depending what I'm working on, but they can be done by % of MHR too.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • cakewalk
    nmcgann wrote:
    cakewalk wrote:

20 minute at 75%
    20 minute at 80%
    10 minute at 85%
    10 minute cool down

It's only complicated if you want to make it complicated. For endurance training 1x60min and 2x20min are the staple diet with the main bits just at a constant effort and cadence.

I do these by power at various % of FTP depending what I'm working on, but they can be done by % of MHR too.

Neil

Neil - thanks for that. I'll stick with simple.