I hate choosing...can someone just tell me?

weepiglet
weepiglet Posts: 75
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Another newbie joins the scene :D and I’m looking for some advice on what to buy. I have more or less narrowed it down to 2 bikes but am open to suggestion from your experiences.

The 2 I have choosen are the Specialized Allez Elite 09 or the Trek 1.9. I'm thinking the Trek is a better bike simply because of the ultegra gear but not sure about the rest. I appreciate it is a well known brand but is that all? The Spesh looks good in the sense it’s not in your face as much but the equipment seems inferior with only Tiagra on offer. I was at the LBS and they then threw a spanner in the works by offering me a Scott CR1 for another £100!!

I have ridden the Spesh and the Trek but not the Scott and both were great and comfy which is important. I’m totally open to either but thought I would ask the experts first.

Many thanks. :roll:

Comments

• ShaunL
    ShaunL Posts: 91
    Which one is the lightest?

Which has the best ratio gears for your area.

Any of them are good bikes, I would go for the lightest bike.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I agree with Jake, choose the one that fits you best.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • weepiglet
    Cheers guys, I appreciate that although the LBS's around here are few and far between and the ones that we do have don't generally tend to have stock!! As mentioned, I did ride both the Trek 1.9 and Spesh Allez Elite and found them both great,
    As I'm only a beginner on the road, perhaps I don't know what I should be looking for although I do want something that is good value for money, has good equipment and won't be outdated in 3 months!!
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    Hello weepiglet

When i was getting my bike the shop having/beign able to get me the bike in the right size was pretty much the deciding factor (along with them being dead nice to me)

I started off with a pretty long list of options (you can find soooo many dream bikes on the net, and at great prices) - the reality is that unless you are prepared to just chance it and buy randomly off the net, your options will be cut right down by the availabity in your local area.

I got a trek 1.9 in the end - and i'm loving it, although i don't really have anything to compare it to. I'm having lots of fun, and it's very pretty (although the white bar tape is now very grey).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd go for the Trek, you've ridden it, you like it, the spec is excellent as is the colour scheme (IMO).

Go for it!
  • weepiglet
    Cheers LittleBob, I think I am with you on this one. I could talk and talk about what I want to get and really it boils down to what's available so I suppose I better go with chequebook in hand (or cash as cheques are redundant now) and buy something.

I think I'm probably sucked in by the Trek so may as wll give it a go. At least it has decent gear so if I decide it's not for me in 3 months I can always sell.

Thanks all.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    just out of curiosity, what prices are the LBS asking for the 3 bikes you mention?

I'd have thought the Trek 1.7 was a fairer comparison with the Allez Elite, (£925 and £977 resp on Evans' website) and still the Trek is better equipped with 105 rather than Tiagra on the Spesh.

The Scott CR1 should be a good £400 more; is it a 2009 spec bike you're being offered?
    The 2009 has carbon frame and forks but only Tiagra kit
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I think you're fine either way - the Ultegra thing would decide it for me, for what it's worth, but either way you won't be disappointed, as Tiagra does a fine job.

Definitely worth looking at the cassette ratios - for example, I'd want 12/27 rather than 11/25, if that were the difference. Also, are there things on either bike you'd be looking to upgrade sooner rather than later? Any weak points in the spec? That would sway me.

If it's really a total toss-up, go for the one that's prettier! I like the new Trek designs a lot, for what it's worth, and although I do own a Trek (an '05 1200, very reliable, decent steed) I have no bias either way.
  • weepiglet
    keef66 wrote:
    just out of curiosity, what prices are the LBS asking for the 3 bikes you mention?

I'd have thought the Trek 1.7 was a fairer comparison with the Allez Elite, (£925 and £977 resp on Evans' website) and still the Trek is better equipped with 105 rather than Tiagra on the Spesh.

The Scott CR1 should be a good £400 more; is it a 2009 spec bike you're being offered?
    The 2009 has carbon frame and forks but only Tiagra kit

There isn't 1 shop that does all so I have to go to 3 different shops for each bike. The Trek 1.9 is £1100 although they will do it for £1000, the Spesh has no discount as they are like gold dust and would be £975. The Scott is the CR1 09 model and they have offered it to me for £1100 but I'm not sure why this is teh case as I thought it was about £1400 as you say. I think business is really poor at present here in Northern Ireland and maybe they just want a sale. Trust me though, all LBS's will be asked for further discount or some free gear if I buy off them :)

I know what you mean about teh Spesh and this is why i thought the Trek would be better although I might just be buying the name as I have read about Trek frames cracking!!
  • Anonymous
    Any frame can crack!

The trek is a very good buy for £1000

Regarding the Scott, 1100 is a lot of money for a bike with a Tiagra groupset when you see what that sort of money gets you from somewhere like Ribble or Planet X. Yes there is a carbon frame on the Scott but if you want carbon I'd get a Ribble Deda frame with your choice of components...
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Trek
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • keef66
    If that's the kind of money you're wanting to spend, I'd probably go for the Trek 1.9. Just make sure that they fit you properly on the bike; as a newcomer you don't want to be too stretched out, or have too large a drop from the saddle to the bars.
  • Call me daft but its all 105 on the allez elite on this years model isn't it and not tiagra?
    :?
    Click image to enlarge. The Specialized Allez Elite 2009 Features are:

Frame: Specialized E5 aluminium, fully manipulated tubing, smooth weld compact race design, FACT carbon seatstays

Fork: Specialized FACT carbon, carbon fibre legs, aluminium crown and steerer

Gears: 20 Speed. Shimano 105, 31.8mm clamp, bottom pull [F]. Shimano 105, short cage [R].

Shifter: Shimano 105, 10-speed STI, flight deck compatible

Wheels: Mavic CXP22 rim, alloy triple-wall, machined sidewalls, 28/32h w/ eyelets Rims. Specialized forged alloy, 28h, sealed ball bearings, QR [F]. Specialized forged alloy, 32h, double sealed ball bearings, cassette, QR [R]. DT Champion, stainless 14g w/ ProLoc brass nipples Spokes.

Brakes: Ultralight dual pivot brakes, Teflon pivots, forged alloy w/ cartridge pads [F]. Ultralight dual pivot brakes, Teflon pivots, forged alloy w/ cartridge pads [R].

Drivetrain: Shimano 105, 10-speed, 12-27t cassette, Shimano 105, 10-speed chain, Shimano Compact crank, 50 x 34t chainring, Shimano FC-4500 BB

Extra Features: Specialized carbon wrapped, two-bolt clamp, 27.2mm Seatpost. Specialized Mondo Pro, 700x23c, aramid bead, 120TPI, Flak Jacket Tyres.
  • keef66
    Sorry; Mis-typed there. Should've been referring to the brakes; 105 on the Trek 1.7 and Tiagra on the Spesh.

Trek 1.9 is better equipped at every level.
  • But the trek 1.9 is nearly 200 quid dearer so surely it's the trek 1.7 thats the comparison here :)
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    How about this. They're all good. Buy the Trek.

Why? Well, why not. You asked to just be told to buy something. I won't try to blind you with science that I don't understand. But I reckon that whichever you buy you'll (a) love it, and (b) always wonder whether you should have chosen the other.

SOOO... buy the Trek, then if you decide you don't like it, blame me :D
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • Anonymous
    He's said it's the 1.9 that has been reduced to 1000...

The 1.7 is 900 quid.