Help me with training for a solo 24 hour race

_daemon_
_daemon_ Posts: 2
edited April 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Done a couple of 24 hour races before in a team, going solo will be a first for me.

This is how my diet looks.

wake up pop a multi-vitamin
Get to work around 6:30am, have a cup of coffee
Eat breakfast around 7:00 (cup of oats)
Have a snack, usually a small cup of low fat yogurt around 10:00
Have lunch at 12:00 - packet of 2 min noodles
Get home around 4:00, whey protein shake
And then eat dinner around 6:00 which is normally a apple, peach, some fish and veggies.
during the whole day I try and drink as much water as possible, I have one of those camelbak bottles at
work and try to keep it always infront of me sipping from it through out the day.

Training wise, this is how it looks :
Monday : 20km TT on my rollers with the roadbike. I try and beat my time everytime, so it's almost max effort output for 20km's. My avg time is around 28 mins at a 41km/h avg speed.
Thinking of increasing this training session to 20km TT and then just spin out the remaining time to the 1 hour mark.

Tusday : rest

Wensday : Hill intervals. Ride up a hill close to me just spinning up, then go down and back up again at almost max effort, go down, spin up, go up at almost max effort. I do this 6 times, so that's 3 times of almost max effort.

Thursday : Intervals on my rollers, 2 min at 30km/h then 1 mins at 50km/h plus, then 2 min at 30km/h then 1 min at 50km/h, until 10 mins are up then I ramp it up a little to 1 min at 30km/h and 2 min at 50km/h, 1 min at 30km/h, 2min at 50km/h until another 10 mins are up, then for the next 10 mins depending on how I feel I either just spin easily or try and put in some effort at around 35 to 40km/h.

OR

a 1 hour ride on the rollers at around 30km/h avg speed.

Friday : rest

Saturday : Usually either a 60km club road ride or 60km mountain bike ride with friends.

Sunday : Usually a technical orientated mountain bike ride of around 15km's or so.

And in between I do a couple of races.

Did a 3 day mtb stage race recently (http://www.sani2c.co.za/)
Doing a 4 day stage road race en of april (http://www.panoramatour.co.za/)
Doing a 80km mtb race on 16 May

My biggest problem is time during the week to train.

Also planning on doing a couple of 5 hour rides at the venue where the 24 hour will be, and HOPEFULLY do at least 2 10 hour rides at the venue.

Currently my weight sits around 187lbs my length being around 5,8m. I would like to bring my weight down to 176lbs.I am going to do the race on my single speed full rigid 29er on one scandal mountain bike. Goals for the 24, just to survive and finish in the middle of the pack. The race is early December.

What do you guys think? Any advice?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I reckon you're doing everything perfectly. Maybe a bit more time on the MTB as the season progresses, and a turbo rather than the rollers would give you greater resistance (I don't generally bother with my rollers any more, as I can spin my highest gear on my road bike for as long as I want).