rear shock psi

mwilliams09
mwilliams09 Posts: 13
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
hey if im 180 lbs how much should i set my rebound rear shock at, like at what psi

Comments

• Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    190psi
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Check your user manual, or the website for the shock manufacturer - they should have a chart or guide. I'm 13st and my X-Fusion shock manual recommends about 140psi. I used the suggested psi as a starting point, and then tweaked it myself from there.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Big Shoes
    Big Shoes Posts: 131
    I am 184 lbs, my Rock Shox Ario is set at 130psi and is perfect, i used the conversion table that said put it at 1psi for every lbs you are and it wouldnt move at 184 psi!! i just adjusted it until i got the 20-25% sag while i sat on the bike (with feet on pedals, not moving) and that was 130 psi, i have used it lots and it never bottoms out and i have had nearly 90% travel out of it on some jumps.
    Full Susser - GT I-Drive XCR 5

Hardtail - GT Aggressor XC 2

Road Bike - GT GTR Series 4
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    190psi

What a random guess :? Was that a genuine attempt at answering the question?

It completely depends on the bike's design. Set it based on your sag and aim for about 25% as previously mentioned, +/- that for personal preference. Make sure you remember whatever you put in incase you need to adjust it later.

The problem is the shock leverage ratios vary, assuming the same amount of travel, a shorter shock will have to have a higher pressure to get the same spring rate as a longer, higher capacity shock. I used to have an Enduro with long travel plates, it used a tiny 165mm shock and needed 300psi to get anywhere near sensible, I sold the plates :?
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    no, of course it wasnt a genuine reply.

he hasnt told us what bike, what shock or what position he has it in or anything.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    edited April 2009
    :roll:
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Toasty wrote:
    190psi

What a random guess :? Was that a genuine attempt at answering the question?

Get a grip, when was the last time he did that?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    hey if im 180 lbs how much should i set my rebound rear shock at, like at what psi

what ever pressure is needed to give the sag you want.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    As nick says, pump it up a bit, sit, measure sag (pump a cbale tie around the piston). If it compresses by around 25% you got it right if not let some air out / put some in.

The recommended settings are really just a starting point and most people don't find them that useful. If you've got now info I'd start at around 100 PSI and work from there.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Read the manual on the manufacturers website. Not all bikes have the shock sag set by measuring a percentage of travel.

Commencal for example are set up by measuring the shock length pivot to pivot (eye to eye) when sat on bike and altering the pressure to hit a set shock length. The optimum sag is about 10 % very difficult to measure with a zip tie. If you set up the shock on my bike with 25% travel as the sag you would blow through the travel and bottom out the shock on the first bump you hit. As I found out till I read the manual :(
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nicklouse
    stubs
    you are still just setting the sag. but they have a number it is still a %.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    nicklouse wrote:
    stubs
    you are still just setting the sag. but they have a number it is still a %.

Yes I know but the point is setting all shocks to 25 % will not work, not all bike suspension systems need 25 % sag. Scott is another bike make that does not use 25% sag on its proprietary shocks. Setting a shock to 25% without checking that is what is needed is just silly and could make the bike handle like a shopping trolley or worse damage the shock and invalidate the warranty.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nicklouse
    stubs
    correct which is why i never give a % as yes it does depend on 1 the designers requirement and 2 the bike 3 the rider etc etc etc

but the way to set any air sus is add or remove air untill the sag is as required, then tweek to tune.