£600 to spend ! advice needed please !

KS376
KS376 Posts: 4
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all !
I have £600 to spend on a mountain bike but i am a bit confused which way to go !
All advice greatly received and appreciated !

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Welcome to the forum.

Is this your first bike.

Do you want a full suspension bike or a hardtail (which would offer better value)
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • KS376
    I would prefer a hardtail as budget full sus bikes are a bit on the heavy side !

I have just sold my first bike which was a carrera hard tail and i am lookin for an up- grade !

i have been lookin at the trek 6300 09 which is a bit over budget but could talk nice to the wife !

I have also been lookin at the genesis core 20 09 which is about on the money but still not sure !

Thanks
  • hii

my first bike was a hardtail costing 650 if i remember right, bloody brill, still got it :D you can get alot for about that price range, id say a hardtail would be better value to you as you get more

ur choice !! good luck
    Scott Reflex 20
    Trek Fuel EX 8 2010

Work hard . . . . Play hard !
  • KS376
    Hi

I also think i a hard tail is the way to go !

Just got to pick one!

I am itching to get back on the trails !
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    There's a "What hardtail 2009" Sticky on the MTB Forum that's got lots of useful discussion on it, (unless you're more or less settled on what you want, in which case you'll wish you had never looked because you'll start to think about bikes you would otherwise have never considered :lol: )

One thing I think that's worth considering when you're buying is hwat other stuff you might need - it might pay to divide up your budget to cover spares, clothing etc.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    first thing to do is have a look around the main online stores, pick out a few bikes you like the look of, compare them for price and spec and then post a shortlist of the main contenders here.
  • Nu_Ryda
    Nu_Ryda Posts: 23
    As a note on this what do people think of the Carrera Banshee X?

To KS376: This is a full sus avilable at Halfords for £650

I've heard mixed reviews about the bike, but alot of people seem to base the rating of the bike on the serice they received from Halfords as opposed to the bike itself
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Have a look at the offers on http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/ I just got a Mongoose teocali comp for £599. First bicycle in15 years though a couple of motorbikes kinda kept my eye in :roll: and I am happy I got a full suspension after my first ride.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    or try Pauls for a giant yukon fx1 reduced from £900 to £560
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b4s1p1748
    Got mine last week ,brilliant,much better than the cube acid hardtail I have just sold.