absolute beginners

nap solo
nap solo Posts: 16
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
hello all...two things, firstly due to cycling 10miles from home and getting a puncture i am eager to find what equipment people take and "dont leave home without" for a bike ride. Advice and tips appreciated. secondly since fixing my puncture ( and to my amazement its actually stayed inflated ) i noticed my tyre size was 26 x 2.25 52/52....does this then mean my inner tube must be the same 26 x 2.25 ? I need to buy one u see.... and whats the 52/52 all about. thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Things I always carry, even for a short ride are:
      Pump Spare tubes Tyre levers Drink Multitool (including a chain tool) and connecting links. Cable ties Waterproof Phone

For a longer ride I also include a first aid kit, glueless tube patches, tyre boot patches, spare brake pads and springs, rear mech hanger and food.

The tubes cover a range of tyre sizes so yes you'll need to find one that covers 26 x 2.25 (the 26 is the wheel diameter and the 2.25 the tyre width). No idea what the 52/52 is. Personally I'd really recommend carrying spare tubes, levers and pump as a bare minimum.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Have a look at THIS THREAD (linky, click on it to be transported there...!)
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • brownix
    brownix Posts: 115
    most innertube you buy from the bikeshop will fit in a 2.25 tyre because thats about the average size (i think)
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    brownix wrote:
    most innertube you buy from the bikeshop will fit in a 2.25 tyre because thats about the average size (i think)

Not necessarily, most have a range of applications. For example, you might see them labelled as 1.5" - 1.95", then 1.95 - 2.35". Obviously if you put a narrow (i.e. 1.5") inner tube in a wide (say 2.35") it will inflate, but the walls will become much thinner as it stretches and thus more susceptible to punctures, or even bursting.

Check the labelling carefully and you won't go far wrong.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • nap solo
    nap solo Posts: 16
    thanks for your help...appreciated