Leg protection

arum
arum Posts: 413
edited April 2009 in Tour & expedition
Out for a 50-mile trip on Saturday, I was comfortable apart from my legs. The weather was heavy rain and bitter cold. I have overshoes and waterproof shorts, but hate full-length trousers. Does anyone know of any tights or leg warmers that would retain heat even in the wet? I'd be grateful for any help, especially as I'm beginning to do some lightweight touring.
EGmld

Comments

• rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Not sure but look at gore wear. Their gore-tex clothing is pretty good.
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    I have used Lusso Repel bib tights touring in Northern Norway in moderate rain - and not that warm - heavy rain when its cold my preference is a goodish pair of waterproof leggings
  • arum
    psmiffy wrote:
    I have used Lusso Repel bib tights touring in Northern Norway in moderate rain - and not that warm - heavy rain when its cold my preference is a goodish pair of waterproof leggings

I suppose that I could wear leg warmers (as well as the shorts) under waterproof trousers - my waterproof shorts are 3/4 length Altura, and I hate the feeling of them where they overlap on my bare legs. Either that, or find lined waterproof trousers. It's about time to spend my Evans vouchers from Christmas! I had a look at the Lusso web site, but my shape and the Lusso bib tights don't agree! Thanks for the reply - you too, rjh299.
    EGmld
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Long Sealskin socks? ( I think they do them for anglers).
  • arum
    andymiller wrote:
    Long Sealskin socks? ( I think they do them for anglers).

Good suggestion. I've just had a look at the Sealskinz website, and see longer socks - maybe just past the knee. Doesn't say they're for cycling, but they're thin/light, so if I find out they'll stay up (not slide down as I cycle), then they could be worth a go. Thanks
    EGmld
  • arum

It is indeed - a better bet than the Sealskinz. If the weather's cold, then I''ll use them over tights. I'll definitely get a pair - looks worth a try. Thanks.
    EGmld
  • andymiller
    arum wrote:

It is indeed - a better bet than the Sealskinz. If the weather's cold, then I''ll use them over tights. I'll definitely get a pair - looks worth a try. Thanks.

I don't understand: these offer less protection than the goretex 3/4 length shorts you already have.

inactie_c.jpg
  • arum
    andymiller wrote:
    arum wrote:

I don't understand: these offer less protection than the goretex 3/4 length shorts you already have.

inactie_c.jpg

Sorry, was at work and only had time for a brief reply. As I hate the feel of full trousers on my bare legs, I could wear leg warmers or full-length tights under the trousers, but that would be too much: no matter how much the trousers breath, I'd soon end up very sweaty. (The shorts are baggy and let lots of air in) I don't mind that so much on my upper body, but not on my legs. I'm tempted to get a pair of the leggings, and try to adapt them for the lower legs. It could be a waste of £30, but it might work.

The rain might well be blowing from the side or behind, but it always seems to be the front that's worst affected. It's this area of cyclewear that I wouldn't mind paying a good bit extra for a solution.
    EGmld
  • andymiller
    Yes it does look like it could be a solution for the thighs (assuming you have a rear mudguard). I was confused because thought you were fed up with wet lower legs.

BTW my personal 'solution' is a poncho (though I probably should have hunted around for a traditional cyclist's cape as I think these are still made). No condensation/sweat problems, but not very aerodynamic - and if it's raining hard you have to keep bailing out the water!
  • arum
    andymiller wrote:
    Yes it does look like it could be a solution for the thighs (assuming you have a rear mudguard). I was confused because thought you were fed up with wet lower legs.

BTW my personal 'solution' is a poncho (though I probably should have hunted around for a traditional cyclist's cape as I think these are still made). No condensation/sweat problems, but not very aerodynamic - and if it's raining hard you have to keep bailing out the water!

Wet legs when it's a reasonable temperature is one thing, but on Sunday I was crossing a moor road between Greenock and Largs on the Clyde coast, when the rain was being lashed by a strong wind and it was bitterly cold.
    EGmld
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Rainlegs work very well. They aren't breatheable, so in due course you will get some condensation under them, but even then they do well at keeping your legs warm.

I've tried goretex shorts (cut-off overtrousers) - I found that water from wet knees worked its way up inside them relatively quickly.
    3/4 length would be much the same as full length. You wouldn't get enough air flow past the knee and onto the thigh to make any difference.
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    Sorry to be a sceptic but they seem to be a very temporary lash up that you might wear for a dash through a high street on a nice sunny day or untlil you can find somewhere suitable to get properly togged up - not something to rely on as your lower half rainwear in the mountains or out of season - I know from experience having been caught in summer thunderstorms both in the mountains and at sea level and long sustained rain in quite good tempertures that you get very cold very very quickly when riding for long periods in heavy rain

if you dont like too many layers then get stripped off - I normally get rid of the cycling shorts at the first opportunity and wear a light pair of ron hills under a decent pair of waterproof trousers - if it is very cold then bib tights and a long sleeved base top under the waterproofs - its essential to stop the water running over the skin - I find being sweaty in heavy rain is the least of my problems
  • andymiller
    arum wrote:
    Wet legs when it's a reasonable temperature is one thing, but on Sunday I was crossing a moor road between Greenock and Largs on the Clyde coast, when the rain was being lashed by a strong wind and it was bitterly cold.

Well yes, which is why the Rain Legs didn't exactly seem like a convincing solution to the problem.
  • arum
    andymiller wrote:
    arum wrote:

Well yes, which is why the Rain Legs didn't exactly seem like a convincing solution to the problem.

With, maybe, leg warmers? I just don't like waterproof trousers. I know that it's not exactly the end of the world to have sweaty legs, clothing clinging to them, but thought that I'd try to find a solution to the problem.
    EGmld