Foot cramp,any advice

mongoosed
mongoosed Posts: 315
edited April 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Morning all,just back from a 2 hr cycle,where as usual i got cramp in the bottom of my feet towards the front and toes,this happen every ride,then when i get home it takes about 10-15mins for the numbness to go away,any advice?

Robert.

Comments

• what kind of shoes are you wearing?
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • mongoosed
    Shimano mtb shoes non spd on dmr pedals.
  • Try a different inner on your shoes? One of the moulded ones?
    Either that or try to loosen your laces or stretch + warm up your toes before you ride.

Are your shoes tight? sounds like the circulation isn't making it all the way to your toes.
  • mongoosed
    Cheers Ben,i do some stretching etc before i go out,shoes are a tight fit but haven't bothered me before,they are a few yrs old mind you,maybe get some new ones.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Shimano shoes do tend to be a narrow fitting in the toe box area, I found Specialized shoes a much better fit with much more room in the toe box area.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • mongoosed
    Cheers Andy,i will look at new shoes later today.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Try peddaling on a differant part of your foot, ball, toe, slighthly behind the ball, some people ride happilty on the arch!

Probably down to tight fitting shoes though, remember to start loose or loosen part way through the ride when your feet have heated up.
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    I have flat feet, and can be prone to foot cramp.
    Rarely get it MTB'ing. But, used to be terrible when snowboarding - until I was diagnosed and given orthotic inserts. Since then, everything has been fine.

You don't necessarily need to see a Doc. You can buy them online from physio supplies. Good ones won't necessarily be very cheap (£20-25/pair) - but, can you put a price on comfort (and therefore, safety)?
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • rocky00
    rocky00 Posts: 1
    Well, that could the problem with the shoes. U need to change the shoes this time and its better to do stretching before you start your day. This time make sure that your shoes are comfortable or not. Hope this helps u ..
  • mongoosed
    Cheers for all the advice folks,i spoke to a mate who owns a bike shop today,and he said he thinks my seat is too high :oops: ,so that may be part of the problem.