Sizing Dilema

gibbon365
gibbon365 Posts: 151
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
Help, I'm confused. I'm a bit of a freak of nature, I have a 35 inch...................................... inside leg but am only just shy of 5'11". Should I go for a size with a top tube length to suit or is the downtube the most important.

Ideally I want a frame with a 56cm top tube but in the frame i'm interested in this would mean a size M-L (giant sizing) but this would only give a downtube length of 50cm. Is it acceptable to have about 8 inches......................... of seat post showing.

I am after a seat height of 78 cm (top of seat to BB measured parallel to down tube). Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Yes, go by the toptube length. Reason being that you have much less adjustment available with stem length vs. seatpost. Eight inches of seatpost is not too long. Usually (but not always) a stem of less than around 9cm can start to make many a quick turning frame a little twitchy. Slower turning tourers not so much but best to try it out first if possible. Just make sure the headtube is tall enough for you as well so you don't have to use 4 inches of headset spacers.
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    I've got the opposite problem, I'm around 5'9" with pretty short legs and a long body. I've actively looked for compact framesets with short seat tubes, if I get a more traditional geometry frame with what feels the right standover I end up feeling cramped. I've got a Giant TCR Advanced which fits the bill fine

I reckon you go by the toptube and make sure you get as traditional a geometry frame you can get hold of. You could get a longer seatpost, but if you're anything like as inflexible as me you'll run the risk of getting backache I'd guess.

So that's a new frame and an exercise ball to work your flexibitily too perhaps? :)
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon