The Cambrian

trickeyja
trickeyja Posts: 202
Is anyone else on the forum going to be joining the Cambrian ride from Leominster next weekend? I will - my first Audax. I have wanted to cycle round that area for some time so it's great to find an organised ride there!

Comments

• trickeyja wrote:
    Is anyone else on the forum going to be joining the Cambrian ride from Leominster next weekend? I will - my first Audax. I have wanted to cycle round that area for some time so it's great to find an organised ride there!

There are a small number of us heading for this event from the Beacon RCC, partly because it looks like a great route and also because we would like to support Danial Webb in returning this event to the audax calendar.

I must admit that I do not think that I have ever ridden an audax that operates along the lines of 'there and back' along the same route. But the views will be great and you will be able to see different perspectives there and back.

I know that comments on the YACF forum have waxed lyrical about the return of this event. It has previously been listed as a 'permanent' and past riders have said that it was well worth the ride.

It is not necessarily going to be any easy 200km, so pacing will be essential. Good riders can expect a time of around 9-11 hours necessitating the need for lights just in case. It is quite a lumpy route with a massive descent and then reascent at Machynlleth, the half way point. The fastest section will be Leominster to Presteigne, after which the climbs slowly get harder the further north you go and vice versa on return.

If you have ever ridden the Autumn Epic Cyclosportive, you may be even be familiar with some of the roads.

If the weather holds out, it will be great day.
  • trickeyja
    There are a small number of us heading for this event from the Beacon RCC, partly because it looks like a great route and also because we would like to support Danial Webb in returning this event to the audax calendar.

I must admit that I do not think that I have ever ridden an audax that operates along the lines of 'there and back' along the same route. But the views will be great and you will be able to see different perspectives there and back.

I know that comments on the YACF forum have waxed lyrical about the return of this event. It has previously been listed as a 'permanent' and past riders have said that it was well worth the ride.

It is not necessarily going to be any easy 200km, so pacing will be essential. Good riders can expect a time of around 9-11 hours necessitating the need for lights just in case. It is quite a lumpy route with a massive descent and then reascent at Machynlleth, the half way point. The fastest section will be Leominster to Presteigne, after which the climbs slowly get harder the further north you go and vice versa on return.

If you have ever ridden the Autumn Epic Cyclosportive, you may be even be familiar with some of the roads.

If the weather holds out, it will be great day.

I will look forward to it and see you there (I expect I will be the youngest rider). I haven't ever done an out and back route following the same roads either. However I have been driven over the mountain road to Machynlleth and it was magnificent, so I swore I'd cycle it sometime. From Cheltenham I've cycled out as far as Presteigne and Hay on day trips but from then onwards it will be new to me.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    It's gorgeous country but there is a lot of climbing to be done. Knighton-Newtown then over Pant-y-Dwr and down into Llanidloes is hard enough.

The subsequent roads to Staylittle and over the Mountain Road to Machynlleth are gorgeous and the toughest part of the ride. There are a number of ups and downs past Llyn Clywedog but the climb back from Machynlleth to Dylife will be quite a slog. I've never cycled it, but as a former local I can imagine it will be tough.

The Great Oak cafe in Llanidloes is a lovely place to eat. The town also has two chip shops and a Spar. Hope everyone has a good run.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Simon E wrote:
    It's gorgeous country but there is a lot of climbing to be done. Knighton-Newtown then over Pant-y-Dwr and down into Llanidloes is hard enough.

The subsequent roads to Staylittle and over the Mountain Road to Machynlleth are gorgeous and the toughest part of the ride. There are a number of ups and downs past Llyn Clywedog but the climb back from Machynlleth to Dylife will be quite a slog. I've never cycled it, but as a former local I can imagine it will be tough.

I see what you mean :cry: . I have just unfortunately reminded myself that this is going to be very tough! Dylfe sits at around 500m above sea level, which is climb twice, without considering all the other horrendous bumps between there and and Llanidloes. In fact it makes the section south of Llanidloes look like a walk in the park, which it is not!

It is going to be a tough tough day. At least it will help my legs in time for The Elenith, two weeks later.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Dylfe sits at around 500m above sea level, which is climb twice, without considering all the other horrendous bumps between there and and Llanidloes.
    I didn't want to mention it but yes, the first couple of miles out of Mach it's steady then you get to the ridge above Aberhosan and think "OMG are we going up that?", and it just keeps on going until you pass Glaslyn. The Wynford Vaughan Thomas memorial just below the top is a wonderful place to stop and take in the view of Cadair Idris, the Arans, Tarens etc.

Looking at the map I had forgotten just how many arrows indicating a gradient of 1 in 7 to 1 in 5 (14-20%) are marked on the Llanidloes-Staylitte stretch. The first few miles out of Llani are probably the hardest - you climb, false flat then climb again several times. And the moment you get over the top there's a massive drop down to Bwlch-y-gle to wipe out the height gain :shock: Definitely a good idea to make sure your brakes are in fine fettle.

This is also part of Clive Powell's Trans-Cambrian sportive in September, which also takes in the Nant-y-moch and Elan Valley reservoirs.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • trickeyja
    Sounds like we are in for a great challenge!!

The last time I was on that mountain road, it was sunset and it was ethereally beautiful up there. I distinctly remember the scenic Llyn Clywedog and the land dropping away into Dylife Gorge with stunning views. So I am definitely looking forward to revisiting. Hopefully the weather won't be too bad on Saturday!!

How will other competitors be getting to the start? I will be cycling up the night before and staying in a B&B...
  • Poulsy
    Poulsy Posts: 155
    Yes I will be there doing the 168km route. Looks very nice and also quite easy to follow with 3300m climbing, so pretty tough.

Using it as training for the North Cornwall Tor the following week.
  • Looking forward to the day.

If see you me around, I will be the 200k rider in the Beacon top.
  • trickeyja
    See you there - I'll be the 16 year old in the blue top (also doing the 200).
  • trickeyja
    How did you all find it?

I thought it was a great ride! Awe inspiring scenery. It was tough though - endless hills and coming back up the mountain road from Machynlleth was hard - then the last steep climb at Llanbister...

I got in at about 7:30 which I was satisfied with considering it is my first Audax and the number of hills! It is also my longest day at 140 miles. If anyone took some pictures I would love to see them (my camera stopped working).

I don't know if I saw you there Philip? You were probably on your way back up the mountain pass from Machynlleth as I was beginning the descent :D (I started 10 mins late so wouldn't have seen you at the start)
  • This was a top event and provided good sportive training. This was certainly a tough event. As expected, the northern section was to say the least, challenging. In fact the hill climb at of Machynlleth was positively evil - all 500m of it! Richard Greer and I managed to roll into the HQ at around 4.30ish, somewhat knackered!

Trickeyja, sorry we missed each other. I was the only one wearing a 'Beacon top' on the 200km and I certainly saw quite a few people pass us as we were topping out 'that climb'. I even bumped into Steve of this message board at Llanidloes, great to see a real face from this MB!

For anyone who missed this event, it was absolutely fantastic. Great climbs, quiet roads with great cafe controls. The organiser, Danial Webb, laid on a great event. Role on 2010.