How long do you keep your Bike?

OOtzen-Booty
OOtzen-Booty Posts: 116
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Just curious to know how long you keep a bike before you upgrade or change for a newer model,Or is it a case of racking up big milage[A Target] before you change.?

Comments

• brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Personally i change frame or bike when one of my others is feeling 'tired' and the ride quality deminishes. Can be 24 months but one of my CR1 frames is on its 5th (and final) year.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    None of my bikes have yet lasted me 2 years. I'm currently riding a carbon bike that doesn't fit me - I've had that for a year, but that will be replaced as soon as I can afford a new one. I've also had my Ribble for a year, but that'll probably last for ages (or until I've got a new summer bike, and been able to save up for a nice titanium bike that takes mudguards :D )
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • None of my bikes have yet lasted me 2 years. I'm currently riding a carbon bike that doesn't fit me - )

Dont take this the wrong way,But why buy a decent bike[carbon] that doesent fit your good self.......No offence
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    None of my bikes have yet lasted me 2 years. I'm currently riding a carbon bike that doesn't fit me - )

Dont take this the wrong way,But why buy a decent bike[carbon] that doesent fit your good self.......No offence

Well it does "fit", but the headtube really is a bit long (173mm - when I really need more like 120mm), every other dimension on the bike is fine - it's not as though I'm using a short stem I've still got a 110mm stem on it, I'd just rather be a bit lower.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've got the same bike as I had years ago. It's a bit like trigger's broom though. Not one part is original.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    I've got the same bike as I had years ago. It's a bit like trigger's broom though. Not one part is original.
    LOL 5 heads and 2 new handles.......nice
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There is also the fact that one bike seemed to grow into 5.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    My bike frame was bespoke built for me in 2004, which makes it 4-5 years old. I haven't ridden it as much as I'd have liked since then, but it's still clocked up over 10,000 miles. I bought it as a 'bike for life' and have no intention of replacing it ever. One day it'll have a respray and if any part of it breaks then it goes back to its makers for repair. Components get replaced as and when they wear out.

I've owned plenty of other bikes, of different designs and for different purposes, but it's good to know that at the centre is the one good "right" road bike. My first proper 531 road bike from 1988, which has gone through road race/ TT/ courier/ tour duties, is dangling in the garage waiting for its next incarnation as "gentleman's runabout", or something like that.