lifting front up

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
just a quickie:

on my route there some roots, about 4-6 " i recon, and a log in the way which is at a angle accorss the path, i heard that to get front wheel over roots you cant just roll over them if they over 2-3" but have to "push down on the handlebars then release as you come near the root/log to cause the fork to bounce up over it"

is this correct way of doing it?

i tried rolling over this log at a angle on the path and nearly went of the bike lol, i havnt got a full spen but hardtail but i sure this 5or so " log isnt impossible to get over, same goes to the roots.

how should i get the front over it without skidding off or falling off/smashing the middle of bike on it ie the crank/pedals ect?

any advise wellcome for novice.
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    I've just started into MTBing myself and had these issues too so you're not alone. Rather than releasing after pressing down, shift your weight back and pull sharply on the handlebars as you do so to pop the front off the ground. This is a manual, you can give a quarter stroke of the pedals from the attack position (pedals level, good foot forward) to give you an extra boost if you need it. I've found that it's actually better to roll your wrists back and pull back more than up to pop the wheel off the ground, counterintuitive though this sounds.

As for the log or any high obstacles like that, use a manual to pop the front over it and then throw your weight forward before the back wheel hits it to unweight the back and let the wheel pop over the log rather than catch up on it or slide sideways off it. A little slide at the back is alright, just steer the front and the back will (usually) follow. I've seen better guys bunnyhop obstacles like these but my gargantuan 3 inch bunnyhop attempts end in disaster more often than not so I find it easier to use these techniques :lol:

Hope this helps, sorry if it's a bit simplistic.
  • sounds interesting though this sounds like a pre fall off speech

shift your weight back and pull sharply on the handlebars as you do so to pop the front off the ground.
    :P

sounds like it could go 50/50 hit miss with pulling back then throwing forwards but il see.
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    Yeah, just lift the front wheel (wheelie) over/onto it then unweight the rear wheel to pop it over. It will be easier if you angle towards it so that it is as close to perpendicular to your path as possible. Plus I'd practise somewhere where you're not going to crash if you don't succeed.
  • Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    sounds like it could go 50/50 hit miss with pulling back then throwing forwards but il see.

I know it sounds interesting and I had the same thoughts when I started trying to bunnyhop. "Pull back AND lunge forwards?" I spent a few weeks looking like I was having some sort of fit on the bike, swinging myself around to no great effect. But now I've realised it's all kind of one flowing motion in two parts. I don't have it yet, and my initial efforts are kind of weedy but I'm getting there so do persevere.

P.S. This is with flats, not SPDs.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Yeah the theory is to load the front then manual the handlebars up then pull your bodyweight to the back of your bike, it should lift the front end up.

Have a look at
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-Mount ... 283&sr=8-2

it is an enjoyable read too :wink:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    If you can get a bit of speed up,bunny hop it,very easy once you get it,if you use spds its easy as the bike will jump up with you,its a bit harder to master when you are on flats.
    Like others have said pop your front wheel up and then un-weight the back wheel by shifting you weight forward on the bike, helps to skip over logs etc

Also a shorter stem maybe a 75 or 80mm makes it easier to pop up the front end,than say a 100mm stem,this is because the shorter stem places the handlebar further back/behind the hub meaning the leaverage needed to pop the wheel is easier,changes the fulcrum point.
  • I had some tuition this morning and part of the lesson was riding over logs! I need to practise exactly this technique. I did get it a couple of times but I do feel a bit clumsy at the moment!
    Zeroman_IR wrote:
    I've found that it's actually better to roll your wrists back and pull back more than up to pop the wheel off the ground, counterintuitive though this sounds.

I'll try your tip Zeroman_IR, thanks.

I'll practise in the garden before trying it on the trail next!
  • I had some tuition this morning and part of the lesson was riding over logs! I need to practise exactly this technique. I did get it a couple of times but I do feel a bit clumsy at the moment!
    Zeroman_IR wrote:
    I've found that it's actually better to roll your wrists back and pull back more than up to pop the wheel off the ground, counterintuitive though this sounds.

I'll try your tip Zeroman_IR, thanks.

I'll practise in the garden before trying it on the trail next!

so whats was the lesson then in riding over them can you explain what they said best way is?

• so whats was the lesson then in riding over them can you explain what they said best way is?

Pretty much what Zeroman has already said. You need a decent speed so don't try and just roll over them slowly. Just before you get to the log/root give one good push down on the pedal with your strongest foot and pull up (back?) on the handlebars. (No, I didn't believe that pushing down on pedals would lift the front wheel either!)

Keep practising - you can do this in garden, park, car parks, anywhere really! I've only managed the manual a couple of times and will use the garden to practise!

So, with the front wheel lifted over the log and landed back on the path, remember you are still travelling forward, lift your bum off the seat and the back wheel will pop over much easier.

I learned that this technique is also very useful in clearing step downs (is that what they're called?). Instead of rolling over the edge and coming down sharp, with the front wheel lifted the bike will land either flat or at a much shallower angle enabling you to clear the step down much faster and less bumpy!

Hope I've got this all right. If I figure any other tips while I'm trying it out I'll let you know!
    Good luck!