Saddle sizing

Ruari
Ruari Posts: 217
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all, just been reading the posts about saddles and their fit. I was wondering if there is a way of getting 'sized' for a saddle - how does one know if a saddle will 'fit' ones bum as it were!

I used to have a Selle San Marco Blaze, which was comfy, then upgraded to a Fizik Arione. It's noticeably harder, and the material is smoother (making it almost slippery, if that makes any sense?), but after 200+miles it's quite comfy and the slippery thing is quite handy sometimes (you don't get hooked up when stepping down at the lights etc.).

Any thoughts? Particularly on saddle sizing techniques?
FCN 1

Comments

• mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Best way I've heard of is the Specialized bum sizer method. Pop into your local Spesh dealer and they should have one of the saddle sizer pad things for you to sit on. Basically you sit on it for a few minutes and you sit bones leave an indentation in the gel. Dealer then measures and can tell you what size of saddle you need. Easy!
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Sit on a piece of corrugated cardboard and raise your legs a little, you will find two nice indentations from your sit bones. Also it provides amusement to the family watching you :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    As well as the Specialized Body Geometry measuring Ibelieve Bontrager have a similar system measuring their saddles.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    My LBS has a scheme whereby you can borrow a particular saddle and if it/you are agreeable with each other you can purchase that model, if not try another one.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Ruari
    Thanks for the advice! I'll pop into my nearest spesh dealer and try out their bum sizer!
    Now, just need to find some corrugated cardboard... :D
    FCN 1
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    you don't need card in particular - what you are looking for is something you can leave an indent in

you can use any form of powder (flour/sugar/salt). Tip some into a plastic bag - flatten it out so there is a thinnish even covering and sit atop of it on something hard.

This tells you how far apart your sit bones are - but these are only one part of the comfort equation - as depending on your riding position you might not be resting on these, or only on them some of the time.
  • Ruari
    Just a thought - should I be wearing cycling shorts(padded of course) or just 'bare' (boxers/unpadded lycra/underwear etc) for the test?
    FCN 1
  • Ruari
    Went to the local Spesh store and got my bum sized- both on the Spesh and Bontrager sizing pads.
    Thanks for the suggestions and all the tips.
    FCN 1
  • alien
    alien Posts: 54
    bare :)

(the padding on the shorts won't help the sit bones make nice clean indentations)