2009 Allez v Trek 1.5 ?

justa
justa Posts: 64
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Hello

I'm going to buy a bike through the C2W scheme, still don't want to spend loads though

I've narrowed it down to either a 2009 Allez 18 (cheapest one) or a 2009 Trek 1.5

Pretty similar, the Spesh is £100 cheaper the Trek is a love it or loathe it green colour !

ANy thoughts on which is the best - I know I should be comparing the Allez to the Trek 1.2 but the frame and fork are better on the 1.5.

cheers

Comments

• AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    It's the Allez every time for me.

I got the 09 model a few months back and I love it to pieces. It's my first road bike and the speed, compared to a MTB, has simply blown me away. It's also consistently recommended on these forums as the best road bike in it's price range.

Only things that I've changed since getting it are the tyres and pedals but you would expect to do that on pretty much any road bike under £1000.
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    +1 for the Allez. I bought the same one in January when the sales were on. I've only started riding it regulary in the last couple of weeks. It has an excellent riding position which makes it really comfortable on longer rides. The only thing I have upgraded are the pedals.

Mark
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    I'd ride them and compare them if you can. Make sure they both fit you ok. I think either would be a good buy, but I noticed that the Trek comes with mudguard eyelets, which would seal it for me!
  • I brought a trek 1.5 last year on C2w, fairly happy with it, but i feel like a new one this year and going to get the allez and sell the 1.5 i think !!! :D
  • I've just bought an 09 Spec' Allez after not having seriously ridden for over ten years.

I wanted (what I'd call) an "entry level" road bike that had a bit of snazziness to it... and after taking it out for a brief spin, I have to say I think I chose well. My decision was between that and the Giant Defy range, but the Spec just pipped it for me (influenced largely by opinions I'd read on here).

I guess it depends what you plan to be doing on it... commuting, joining a club or just going for long solo rides out and about.