lightweights or Kysriums for Whitton?

I'm fortunate enough to have a pair of carbonsport lightweight wheels. I'm also fortunate enough to have entry to this year's Fred Whitton.

Although staggeringly light, the lightweights can be pretty uncompimising on poor roads and as with all carbon wheels, the braking is less than ideal.

I'd be grateful for any advice from anyone who's ridden the Whitten as to whether the lightweights would be unsuitable for the Whitton's terrain.

Cheers[/b]

Comments

• spartacuscp
    spartacuscp Posts: 151
    Hi .
    The road surfaces are poor in places , rutted on bad decents and if the road is damp the decents off hardknott and others are very exterme and require a handfull of braking .
    Unless you think by saving 200g will clinch a sub 5 hour 45 minute ride i don`t see much point in adding in some potential for a tricky ride.
    Plus if you bin your bike the repair bill will be no fun.
    I`m sure you will get round on either wheel , which will you be more confident and relaxed riding ? Save the lightweights for other tasks ?
    Enthusiasm over ability every time
  • mathi
    mathi Posts: 110
    Evening ,
    i have rode 3 whittons on lightweights (1 on Gen1, 2 on gen2 ) with no probs at all . Yes there are a few potholes that you have to look out for but dont worry . Lightweights are a strong wheel which can handle hits . This year will be my 4th Fred and first time around not on them , i have gone for a lightweight pair of climbing wheels which i will be looking out for potholes on :roll:
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    like you I am also fortunate to have Kysiriums and Lightweights.

I am going to have a guess and say this is going to confirm what you might already know in your heart :wink:

Wait and see on the day. In the dry the LWs would be lovely. In the wet different story.

Low speed braking in the wet is Lightweights weakest aspect. Exactly the type of roads on the fred.

Plus I found the Lightweights only feel superior the faster they are rotating.
    At 6-8mph up hill you are not even gaining much benefit to be honest :cry:

What we need is disc brakes to become fashionable on top end road bikes then carbon rims become genuine all weather goods.
  • kett
    kett Posts: 56
    I assume you lads are on tubs with your lightweights?
    I am still waiting for my first punture since using tufo tubs+sealant.
    what set up dp you go with/puncture worries etc?

Kett
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    hi Kett

still evaluating stans no tubes.
    i think using this and C02 cartridges plus one spare tub is going to be enough to cover most eventualities.
    i would rather seal a puncture than use the spare- at least the existing tyre would be well stuck on.
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    I have a pair of Ksyriums and am thinking about a pair of seriously light tubs for sportives.
    But am very conserned about the dreaded 'P'.
    So what happen's if you are running tubs and do get one?
  • kett
    kett Posts: 56
    HI DCJ,
    I am pretty much along the same lines as you and also have the 'extreme' tufo sealant for larger punctures when out on the road. Not sure I can be bothered with carrying a spare tub tho.
    My only worry at the moment is that I filled my tubs with sealent 12 months ago and wondering if it still does its job of sealing when its been in the tub so long.
    I haven't used tubs on a sportive yet and play safe with open pro's, going to do a few this year on tubs and see how it goes.
    I dont think its worth the risk if you have travelled a long way to the event, cost of entry etc and then get stranded, but of course you pays your money........