tyre advice please

counterculture
counterculture Posts: 507
edited April 2009 in XC and Enduro
currently running with the fastracks that came with my rockhopper expert, but theyre pish when it comes to anything moist and above, and living in scotland thats an issue, looking for decent tyres mainly for xc but with a fair bit of trail centre riding too.

all advice appreciated.
i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!

Comments

• rhysduk
    rhysduk Posts: 138
    I toyed about with choosing new tyres for my hardtail a while back.
    I ride all weather trailcentres and "freeriding / exploring" in sun (clouds in Wales) and the wet.

I had a pair of Halo Choirmasters (26") from my LBS which are absolutely brilliant. Great grip in the snow too..
    I don't do any commuting on these.
    PP Shan & Intense SS2
  • Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    Depends what for, is it rocky round your area? Schwalbe alberts are pretty good and i like the continentals as well. Panaracer fire xcs also have pretty good things said about them.
  • its not rocky really, mainly just mud round the local area, depends on where i go, looking for a good all rounder that will still function in the wet
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    These two have been highly recommended in the latest MBUK as very good All-Mountain tyres. I run Intense myself, but they're a pain in the @rse to get on to my DT Swiss rims (once they're one they'll never puncture though)! I've been through about 5 sets of plasticy tyre levers getting them on and off, and have to use metal ones now!

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_ ... ts_id=5499

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=4334
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    panaracers' fire xc pro get my vote. i live in yorkshire, do trails, lots of gnarly (believe it or not) towpaths and a tiny bit of road. good hard compound, last for a while, enought space to throw out mud so they don't become slicks when it's claggy and enough roll on them for decent, erm, rolling. did take a wee while to get onto my wheels though, but i didn't go for the kevlar jobs ( i'm carrying more weight than any tyre could ;))
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I like the nevegals for this, they're not fast but they can deal with most conditions. I'll probably get a faster rolling set for the summer but I never went to full mud tyres all winter, they did just fine.
    Uncompromising extremist