New Edinburgh Bike Co-op Fixed Speed

TrevorSmith63
TrevorSmith63 Posts: 2
edited July 2009 in Road general
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... revolution

Folk's,
Thinking about doing this Fixed Speed thing .... and saw this in this week's Edinburgh Bike Co-op newsletter .... anyone out there got one or got a view on them?

Cheers

Comments

• GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    I'm usually a big fan of their Revolution bikes, in particular their value for money. In this case however the spec:price ratio seems to have gone a little awry. Hi-ten forks on a £350 bike is a bit wide of the marks these days.

I'm also at a bit of a loss to understand why it costs 25% more than the Courier S1ngle. The latter is more my type of bike anyway.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "Hi-ten forks on a £350 bike is a bit wide of the marks these days."

AND no doubt contribute to the pretty hefty weight. It's OK I guess - but a Langster is surely better!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • I thought it was a bit off the mark from their usual pricing too - although it looks very nice..... - much nicer than a langster - its got a nice retro look to it with the horizontal top tube and steel forks...must be cashing in...mind you who can blame them - im sure the demand is there and they do decent bikes and their service is excellent....

48/16 is a little harsh if you are new to SS/FS IMO - the first thing I did when i bought my fuji was to swap the 15T for an 18T to get 48/18 - which is perfect for me (ave fitness club rider).
  • Ian Sims
    Ian Sims Posts: 735
    Not sure why they refer to it as Revolution Track, when it clearly is not a track bike, as it has brakes.
  • GarethPJ
    Ian Sims wrote:
    Not sure why they refer to it as Revolution Track, when it clearly is not a track bike, as it has brakes.

It seems that the majority of fashion vict^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hurban fixed riders these days refer to their bikes as track bikes even if they are converted road bikes or purpose built road going fixies. If EB are aiming for that market then it's probably a good move. I'm guessing they're aiming for the fashion victim market since I can't see any reason it should cost £70 more than the Courier S1ngle.

I really like the S1ngle, it reminds me of the bikes that first got me into riding fixed. Remember when couriers used to ride MTBs converted to fixed? So much better suited to urban combat than a road bike.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    That gearing would be murder in Newcastle. I guess they won't sell quite so many from that store....
  • GarethPJ
    acorn_user wrote:
    That gearing would be murder in Newcastle. I guess they won't sell quite so many from that store....

Same gearing that my Langtser came with as OE.
  • GarethPJ wrote:
    acorn_user wrote:

i thought the langster had a 42 upfront? - this mother has a 48!!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the langster does have a 42

the 48 would be torture!

(to me, at least!)
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ wrote:
    acorn_user wrote:

i thought the langster had a 42 upfront? - this mother has a 48!!

Langsters do come with a 42 now, but the originals came with a 48. They were more hardcore all round.

I put an 18T freewheel on the flipside for when I was feeling lazy, the 48/16 fixed gearing stayed and wasn't too hard most of the time. It was hard work at times but most of the time it was great. 78 inches isn't that high really. As an old guy once told me if you don't have to walk up the steeper bits then the gear is too low. I'd probably have to come down a bit now I live up in the pennines.
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    Sorry to drag this thread back from the dead... but that "revolution track" does look a lovely bike... I've been thinking about giving fixed riding a try, but my knee's are not as young as they once were and I'd be a little concerned about pushing a 48 all day... how tricky would it be to swap it to a 42 ? and what sort of cost ?

... also im a fair distance from an Edinburgh shop to try one, so what sort of size would people suggest ... I'm thinking a 55... all my road bikes are compact frame 56's

... thanks in advance
  • you could fairly easily swap to a 42 as long as you get a new ring with the same BCD as the installed one but these tend to be quite pricey on their own. unless anyone knows differently?

another option is to swap the rear 16 for an 18 or 19 and keep the 48 up front.

should cost you IRO £10 for a sprocket and depending on how big a jump you take - you may need a new (longer) chain to go around the larger drivetrain - and unlike the crzy money you pay for a narrow shimano/sram/campag chain, a decent kmc chain for a bmx/fixie wont set you back much more than a fiver . tool required for lockring too....

If i were you I would give them a call and ask if they could swap the rear sprocket out for you for a little extra cost- they are pretty reasonable to do business with in my experience. or perhaps just remove the preinstalled sprocket for you to save you buying a lockring tool?
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    ...interesting, thanks for that