London to Windsor and back training route

Brocade
Brocade Posts: 433
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Folks,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this.

Looking for a road training route from South Kensginton to Windsor and back. Something where I can get a good sportive workout, not leisurely ride along the river. I tried www.cycle-route.com but there is only one route there from Kingston to Windsor and back along the river and I need something where I can really get a good aerobic workout on a road bike.

Thanks in advance
BMC Pro Machine
Enigma Ego

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want a decent training route, suggest you take the train to Windsor or further afield and ride from there. From Windsor, it's nice clear roads into the Chilterns or alternatively, take the train to Dorking or Guildford and ride into the Surrey Hills. I couldn't really think of anything worse than riding from West London into Berkshire or Surrey.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Brocade
    Thanks that's great advice. I should probably do that on weekends when I have the time for the train ride.

Sadly, with a family, I am forced to wake up at 6 in the morning on weekends so I can be back by 9-10 for family chores. If anyone can recommend a West London to Windsor route and back, no matter how ugly, I would appreciate it.
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Must you go to Windsor? I don't mean to sound contrary, but the M4 corridor is about the most unpleasant side of London to cycle in. How about heading south-west toward Esher/ Weybridge etc, or, dare I say it, a couple of laps of Richmond Park? It must be quieter that early.
  • Brocade
    Well, the South Ken to Richmond + 3 laps and back route is one I do regularly. I am getting somewhat bored of it. And I need to clock north of 100km and that only gets me around 50km and it gets boring to lap the Park, however pretty, more than three times. If anyone can recommend a 100km+ route starting from South Ken, that would also be great.
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    from RP though surbtion - esher - chobham -surrey lanes - epson - RP would get you up to 100k and more.
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Whats your average pace like? If you can average 17mph.... this might suit you....
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12614953 not sure whats happening this week, but there have been 15 or so riders on previous weeks.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Brocade
    Thanks, great advice, appreciate it,
    Tolga
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego
  • I often ride out to Windsor from where i live in Merton and it is very good ride and nowhere near as busy as you might think.

If you cycle from South Ken to Richmond you can stay South of the River, cycling through Richmond / Petersham / Ham straight through Kingston to Esher then drop down through the back lanes to Hersham and on to Walton, cross the river via Walton Bridge, head off through Shepperton and just carry on towards Laleham / Staines and Egham once at Egham you can nip through the town and into Runnymede from there full ahead Old Windsor and into Windsor itself.

This gives me a 55/60 mile loop it really is a surprisingly nice ride, hardly any traffic lights or roundabouts between Walton and Egham, you can really crack along.

But like the other posters have said for the same sort of round trip distance you can cycle out of South Ken and do a bit round Box Hill / Ranmore Common.

Jonny
    weight.png